My 1 month of FIOS TV review
lowdef
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had the Fios extreme package for 1 month with 2 HDDVR

I used to have Cox cable with 2 HDDVR very similar.

The HD on FIOS looks very good compared to my cable although

cable was not bad just looks sharper on FIOS particularly the FOOD Network channel

we noticed the improvement on this channel since the wife watches it alot 🙂

So far pricing is 4 dollars cheaper with FIOS in addition i get the movie package which i did not have with cox.

I have had the HDMI issue come up with FIOS, which my motorola dvr's from cox never had this problem. But it doesn't happen too often just enough for you to go hmmm.

Tech support is available but has not been able to solve my issue with remote dvr, not really a deal killer but makes you go hmmm.

So in ending i am happy with FIOS it's HD pq is quite good and if pricing stays competitive with Cox i would stay with FIOS

The HDMI problem really does need to be worked out though as i got rid of my toslink cables long ago ha!

Randy

0 Likes
Re: My 1 month of FIOS TV review
VZ_Constance
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you so much lowdef for the kudos, we are very happy to have you as a customer! I'm sorry to hear that your experiencing occasional issues with the HDMI cable. Many customers have found success in using component cables instead. Put a search for  "HDMI issue" in any search engine and you will see that the issues are not just with Verizon. HDMI is a relatively new technology and just like with other companies we too are aggressively looking into ways to reduce the amount of HDMI conflicts within our service.  

Regarding your issue with the remote dvr what has been the problem? I can look into it for you? Fill out this form https://www98.verizon.com/content/verizonsupport/ and we can move forward from there.

Once again thanks and we appreciate you!

0 Likes
thiswateredone

With all due respect to the verizon employee, I think your explanation and advice for the HDMI issues doesn't hold water.  HDMI technology has been around for awhile now, it is not new.  Many cable companies, including the mentioned Cox, Cablevision, TWC, etc. have had no complaints in regards to HDMI issues with their STBs and the various TV brands.

And your solution to use component cables does not help.  Many customers intergrate the use of HDMI signals in their home theater systems and for you to suggest this course of action is an inconvience to many of the people you value so much.

Even with your roll out of img 1.7 the issues with HDMI still persist.  However, VZ thought that having the STB display the channel number you are watching every half hour and hour was more of a priority than actually fixing the handshake issues many customers have been experiencing.

I too have had a good experience overall with your service sans the intermittent HDMI issues that should have been resolved by now.  But when a VZ employee makes statements like you did it just does not sit well me.  As customers who pay for service, we should not have to compromise how we use our service due to the fact that VZ cannot get their issues with HDMI solved.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@thiswateredone wrote:

With all due respect to the verizon employee, I think your explanation and advice for the HDMI issues doesn't hold water.  HDMI technology has been around for awhile now, it is not new.  Many cable companies, including the mentioned Cox, Cablevision, TWC, etc. have had no complaints in regards to HDMI issues with their STBs and the various TV brands.

And your solution to use component cables does not help.  Many customers intergrate the use of HDMI signals in their home theater systems and for you to suggest this course of action is an inconvience to many of the people you value so much.

Even with your roll out of img 1.7 the issues with HDMI still persist.  However, VZ thought that having the STB display the channel number you are watching every half hour and hour was more of a priority than actually fixing the handshake issues many customers have been experiencing.

I too have had a good experience overall with your service sans the intermittent HDMI issues that should have been resolved by now.  But when a VZ employee makes statements like you did it just does not sit well me.  As customers who pay for service, we should not have to compromise how we use our service due to the fact that VZ cannot get their issues with HDMI solved.

Unfortunately that isn't true, if you invest a minute of your day and put any cable company such as Time warner + HDMI problem, you'll see pages of different customers past and present that have a problem with the HDMI

Cablevision and HDMI problem

While it's true that HDMI has been around for a while, it still doesn't erase the fact that it was a very rushed technology, with loose standards.   While Company A may conform to the standard to the letter, Company B may follow it closely but no tto the letter of the standard.  that causes hiccups in the technology like you're describing, and it's not a problem exclusive to Verizon or Motorola,   I have seen the problem on scientific atlanta cable boxes, and sony tv's, and visio tv's, on cablevision, directv and time warner in addition to FiOS.

It may not be the answer you want to hear, but please understand that all companies involved are trying to iron out the issue, but when the standard isn't be followed closely by all parties involved, you can probably see where putting out a fix for one company might throw another company hdmi out of whack.  

Wish it were easier to deal with, but for me the HDMI issue has been around for such a long time, that it's become the nature of the beast, and it's become a hit or miss scenario (mostly hit) if it will work.

Fortunately, there are HD alternatives - the compnent may be messier but it delivers 1080P HD picture quality, and you can still get digital 5.1 audio out of a digital audio cable.  So there are solutions out there, you just have to excercise them.  

lowdef
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Constance for the reply, i filled out the form.

Basically i believe my stb needs to be activated for remote dvr feature to work.

I do not have anything in the menu section to do this. The part  i do see says to

go to a menu, settings, fios tv remote but i have no fios tv remote listed anywhere

in the menu sections. Only when you do a self diagnostics does it show remote dvr as "not applicable"

I do have component cables set up in the bedroom. I use HDMI in the family room due to my home theatre

is there. If it becomes a pain i will use component and digital audio input to my receiver.

But i really like the one small cable solution of HDMI.

Again thanks for the response 🙂

Randy

0 Likes
thiswateredone

Fair enough.  I should not have been so generalized about the complaints with those services in regards to HDMI.  However, in my personal experience I have had TWC using the SA8300HD and CV using the same SA8300HD, also had RCN for a time using a similar Moto box each on the same Sony rear projection set and never had a problem with the HDMI signal cutting out.  It was not until I had Fios TV installed that I experienced these issues with HDMI.

Obviously different people, different services, different results.

0 Likes