My FIOS TV getting 720p only? Why?
saalanghae

I just got the FiOs package last Saturday and very excited to see HD TV and FASTER internet, however, for some reason, my main TV with DVR is showing only 720p resolution.  My other bedroom TV shows 1080p and the coax line from outside to inside house is all changed and newly installed by Verizon Rep.  Is there something I missed on DVR setting? DVR is hooked up to the tv using HDMI cable.  My TV setting remains the same as prior to FiOS and receiving 1080p from HD antenna which is still hooked up using coax.

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
Re: My FIOS TV getting 720p only? Why?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Actually the best you can hope for with broadcast TV is 1080i

But thats another point Smiley Wink..

As for the resolution. There are two things to look at first.

1. On the Verizon STB. Go to menu--->settings--->Video settings--->Video format.   and make sure that this is set to 16:9 1080i

2. Make sure that your tv settings are still set for 1080. (you will need to refer to your tv manual for this) Many TV's have individual settins for each input, and the input you have Verizon connected to may just be set incorrectly.

If one or the other is not correct. once you correct it, then you should be good to go.

If both are correct. Then call tech support and have them re-initialize the box. If that fails, I'd ask them to replace the STB. Or for that matter you can swap STB's with the one in the house that gets the right resolution and that will tell you if it is the STB or TV.

0 Likes
saalanghae

Thank you for the reply.  Will try and post result... 😛

0 Likes
novakopach5
Enthusiast - Level 1

thanks your answer helped me.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Depending on your TV you may actually be better setting your STB to Native mode.  I.e. send 720p source material as 720P and 1080I as 1080i.  Will also send 1080p, if FIOS ever sends any, as 1080P.

For Motorola STB/DVR's you will have to go to the hidden menu.

• turn your tv and box on
  • at the box hit power off (box goes off, but tv is left on)
  • hit ok button
  • hit menu button
  • on the menu that comes up select all the modes your TV supports (may have to select 1080i or 720p first before it lets you select others)
  • Turn BOX off and then on again.
0 Likes
NickFie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Great advice. With Native mode my Samsung Plasma presents HD channels clearly. It can also scale 4x3 letterboxed content, for example the Cooking Channel (166 in our area), so it fills the screen.

Very nice.

0 Likes
COMET65
Enthusiast - Level 3

I used your procedure and it worked, Thanks!

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes