11-08-2013 05:51 PM
9-10 days post installation (Oct 23) and here are my issues / discoveries with FIOS (dual CHS435HDC DVRs).
What is the concensus out there in experienced FIOS-land?
(1) In general the FIOS menu system is very “layered”, a lot more button pushes to get things done (vs COMCAST)
(2) Very small font sizes: I often watch on a small 24” monitor and the Program Guide and especially the DVR menus are pretty tiny from more than a few feet away
(3) SCHEDULED (future) program recordings often have the original AIR DATE (channel dependent) – who keeps track of that in their heads? --
but NEVER any access to episode title (until AFTER it is recorded).
(4) Also there is no “Season/Episode” numbering information ala the COMCAST convention of, e.g., S02/Ep04 = Season 2 Episode 4
(5) Two INFO button presses are needed to get to the EPISODE TITLE info for a recorded program (if it has one). Really you couldn’t squeeze the episode title on the first screen?
(6) Cancelling a conflicting program (say attempting a third recording at 7:00 pm) does not automatically restore one of the other recordings to SCHEDULED).
(7) Between you and COMCAST this horrendous “non-feature” is almost a tie:
i. On COMCAST the default is “SWAP TO OTHER RECORDING” (I suppose they have a patent on this feature!)
ii. It is only TWO recordings! What could be simpler or more probable than swapping?
i. Again is this the best that could be implemented?
(8) On FIOS I have noticed significant start program latency (early or late); highly unpredictable.
(9) Finally please tell “India support” that the problem is almost never solved by
(10) With a DVR re-set today (Friday, 11/8) I am finally able to turn a single episode recording into a series recording without too many button presses!
(11) The remote is very weak: Almost have to aim it right at the STB sensor to get any response even from 12 feet away…
I still have 21 days and am seriously considering returning to COMCAST (and getting put on the wait list for an X1 box!)
Tough it out for 2 years or go back to COMCAST next two weeks?