NEW to FIOS - several Q's
PaulSC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Back to FIOS after some 3 yrs and this time I got the Gig connection and FIOS TV using the new FIOS One boxes (Main and Mini).

I have several questions:

1. A bit confused about how the new boxes communicate; the Main box is connected via splitter to coax and also to the Router via CAT6 cable. The Mini is connected only via coax. The manual says that MINI, if using wireless should be disconnected from all wires. Curious; Does the Mini pull the signal / wireless connection from the Router or from the Main Box ? What kind of protocol is used that you need to disconnect coax ? Can I watch 4K on my mini ? 

IS the main box getting the Broadcast signal from the Router or the Coax?

2. How to re-program my remote for a TV? I have accidentally confirmed that the TV is linked to the remote, while it was, in fact, NOT linked..... so now my remote controls the FIOS box and my receiver but it won't turn on or off the TV. When I re-link the remote via pressing the 0 and Pause - it only re-links with the box, but skips the TV and Receiver.

3. My up speed is higher than down..... this is odd. The delta is about 150Mbs

they both are super fast...so I am not really complaining per se.... but really weird that my d/l is about 750-800 and my u/l is 850-900 almost. Any ideas why??

THANK YOU!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: NEW to FIOS - several Q's
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

1. The main server gets an RF signal from the ONT. The router get a WAN internet connection from the ONT via ethernet. The limit for WAN coax is 100 mbps. The minis connect through the coax via MoCA from the router. They get an IP from the router and stream content from the server. They can also connect via ethernet or wifi(last resort). Both minis and server are 4k compatible.

2. Hit Menu/Settings/Voice Control and don manual setup and you can do both TV and Receiver. 

3. Might just be the speed test server. You try ten different servers and you’ll get ten different results. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

1. The main server gets an RF signal from the ONT. The router get a WAN internet connection from the ONT via ethernet. The limit for WAN coax is 100 mbps. The minis connect through the coax via MoCA from the router. They get an IP from the router and stream content from the server. They can also connect via ethernet or wifi(last resort). Both minis and server are 4k compatible.

2. Hit Menu/Settings/Voice Control and don manual setup and you can do both TV and Receiver. 

3. Might just be the speed test server. You try ten different servers and you’ll get ten different results. 

PaulSC
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks for the answers.....  BTW... by "server" below,  you mean The MAIN FIOS box....right ?

I do have a one more for Q1

Why does the manual says to connect MINI only through either coax OR wireless with all other cables disconnected in that case??

Why not connect MINI with both coax and CAT6 ?

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes sorry. The server is the main DVR, the VMS4100. The minis only need one medium to connect. Top choice is coax which gives the mini an IP address via MoCA. Cat 6 will do the same thing but not usually ran in most houses. Wifi is the last resort and connects to the FiOS via a hidden SSID and Password.