NYC Apartment FIOS Triple Play Install
N_B
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm in a NYC apartment building.  Do you think the field tech that comes out to do the install will be OK with the following?

Currently, I have a coax cable that comes from the hallway, through my wall next to the front door, into my apartment.  But to bring the fiber in, I'd like a new hole drilled maybe 6 inches or so away from the coax so that it comes through into a closet I have right near the door.  This way, I can have the fiber feed to the ONT that I'd like mounted on the inside of the closet wall.  My phone line also comes in through the floor in this closet.

I have no electrical outlet in my closet.  But there is one just outside the wall where I want the ONT mounted.

I was thinking of putting a power strip in my closet and having the tech drill a hole through the wall where my outlet is.  I also want the Actiontec router to remain in the closet since it is pretty big and I will be using my own router on my desk next to that wall.

So the hole through the closet wall needs to be big enough to fit:

- a power cord (and 3-prong plug) from the power strip

- ethernet cable which will go to my router

- coax cable which will need to connect to my existing coax that goes to my cable boxes

The power strip in the closet can then be used to plug in the ONT and the Actiontec.

Will the field tech be able to do this?  Or am I screwed?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: NYC Apartment FIOS Triple Play Install
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

The tech when he arrives shouldn't be running a fiber cable. If FIOS is available to any apartment building, it conforms to one of these two situations

1) ONT has already been installed in the apartment during the general availability process

2) The ONT is already installed in the basement as a MDU (Multi Dwelling Unit). This means there will be no fiber coming up to your apartment building. All 3 services will be sent up to your building using the existing Coax and telephone wiring.

0 Likes
N_B
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually, this is not true.  At least for my building.  They run fiber from a box in the hallway staircase to every apartment on the floor just outside each front door.

When FiOS is ordered, a hole is drilled through the hallway wall near the ceiling and into the apartment.  Each resident that orders gets an ONT inside their apartment.  I'm just glad the ONT and battery backup are much smaller now than what is pictured online when you do google searches.  The ONT is actually a little smaller than the router!

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

So they have prerun the fibers then and just haven't brought it into the apartment. I understand. Yes you can have input to the location the hole drilled and ONT placement. Please make these wishes know to the installer before he starts any work and he will let you know once looking at the exact layout if it is possible.

0 Likes
lefty11

Again not necessarily, every building was engineered differently. It sounds like your fiber will be run from the closet in the hall through track molding or on top of crown molding that has space behind it . Then they will drill a hole They shouldn't have any problem with your request. Hopefully they will have a bit large enough for a power strip plug plus a ground wire. That would be the cleanest looking install. Installers may not have spackle to fill extra space in hole though. The outlet should be three prong grounded outlet. If not ,you can have the building super place one before installation. Preferably in the closet. If Verizon has the outlet upgraded it could add time to your install. Replacing the light fixture in the closet with one that has a 3 prong outlet on it is also an option.

Some buildings have prerun fibers passing the apartment ,but they have to be spliced into, by another tech who just does splicing . 

0 Likes
Frameless

I am considering making the switch to Fios but have a few questions related to installation. 

My building is set up with Fios such that the ONT's are required to be installed in each apartment. Within my apartment I have structured wiring where my phone, internet and TV all terminate at a single point and all within a panel. Thus the distribution to the jacks (COAX, Cat5, Phone) all begin at the panel. Additionally, there is a router and switch within the panel. Power is also available at the structured wiring panel.

My question is, when the Fiber cable is brought into the apartment, can it be run to the structured wiring panel location? The ONT can be placed within the panel and power can be supplied.

Secondly, will the installer be able to hide the Fiber cable either in the baseboard or within the crown molding. Ideally I would like to hide the cable within the walls as with the existing wiring, ie, COAX, CAT5, Phone

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Frameless wrote:

... My building is set up ... such that the ONT's are required to be installed in each apartment [emphasis added] ... I have structured wiring where my phone, internet and TV all terminate at a ... panel ... distribution ... (COAX, Cat5, Phone) all begin at the panel ... when the Fiber cable is brought into the apartment, can it be run to the ... panel ... The ONT can be placed within the panel and power can be supplied ... will the installer be able to hide the Fiber cable ... [?]

If the ONT must be installed within your apartment, then necessarily the fiber cable must also terminate within your apartment (at the ONT, of course).  It is therefore up to the VZ tech to make the install conform to requirements.  If there is space at your structured wiring panel, the ONT will go there.

Whether the install can meet your cosmetic requirements regarding concealed wiring is impossible to answer a priori.  Depends on your layout and the route that the fiber must follow to get to your flat.  My experience with VZ install techs is quite positive. They made a real effort in my case to meet my requirements (electrical and cosmetic).  There are photos of my install elsewhere on this forum.

0 Likes