Need help. VERY low audio with Tivo series 2 and Fios
barric
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just had Fios installed and want to use my Tivo Series 2 DVR.  However, the audio can barely be heard.  Any advice?

Here is my setup

1.  Motorola set top digital box with HDMI output to Television.  Everything is Excellent

2.  Motorola set top box S video output to Tivo.  Red and white AV to Tivo audio input.

In this setup, my standard def channels have excellent picture, but the volume is just way to low.

I have run the Tivo setup procedures.

When I try running Coax from the set top box to Tivo, I get NOTHING.  No audio or video.

Is the motorola incapable of putting out enough audio via AV when HDMI is also connected?

Help

(please)

0 Likes
Re: Need help. VERY low audio with Tivo series 2 and Fios
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Have you gone into the menu and adjusted the STB volume?  This is under SETTINGS -> AUDIO.  There is also an audio compression setting in the other settings under audio.  The choices are HEAVY, LIGHT or NONE.  Heavy reduces the dynamic range (difference between loud and soft passages), light does some reduction to the dynamic range, and none is self explanatory.  There is also another setting there for FIXED or VARIABLE output - not sure what that does, but you might want to experiment with it.

Hope these suggestions help.

0 Likes
barric
Enthusiast - Level 3

In the settings menu for audio, my series 2 only has choices for TV AUDIO:  Main Program (stereo), Main (mono) and Secondary (sap).  It is set to

stereo.  I also have a Sound Effects Volume, set to Med (I tried High, no luck). 

There are no other pertinent items in the settings menu.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@barric wrote:

In the settings menu for audio, my series 2 only has choices for ...

I was referring to the settings menu on the Verizon STB (Motorola box) that you said was connected to the TIVO.

0 Likes
G-Pon
Contributor - Level 1
OK, if you bypass the TiVo box and connect the TV directly to the set-top-box the audio output from the Verizon/Motorola box is perfect, but if you add the TiVo box in to the chain the sound quality drops? If this (very good isolation technique by the way) is correct, it is very unlikely any troubleshooting on the Verizon equipment will resolve the issue.
0 Likes
barric
Enthusiast - Level 3

Keyboards:

The motorola is connected simultaneously to TV via the HDMI output, and to my TIVO, via S Video and AV outputs.

When the TV source is set to HDMI, all is perfect (in fact, stunning).  Great sound.

When I change the TV to receive S Video from the Tivo, I receive an excellent standard def picture, but audio that I have to crank up to full scale.

I have not tried Motorola to Tivo alone, with no HDMI connection to the TV. 

I do think your idea to use a second box (a simple SD digital converter) to hook up to the Tivo makes great sense.  If I split the feed, sending one to the HD settop box, and another to Tivo, then I get the best of both worlds.   I will get HD from the motorola, and can separately record on the Tivo. 

I am still a bit concerned about audio volume, although the Tivo boards seem to say that Tivo works well with Fios.

0 Likes