KJH278
Enthusiast - Level 3
I think I;m getting closer,  now when I tape I get a scamble picture
0 Likes
Re: Need help recoding programs to my VCR
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@KJH278 wrote:
  I also have a another set of cables that came with my DVR they are metal and  they are red,green and blue, what do i  with them
Message Edited by KJH278 on 04-23-2009 07:21 PM

Those cables are for component video which your VCR most likely doesn't support.  They are used for a high-def analog connection if supported by your TV or AV receiver.  If you don't need that then put them away for now and maybe you will need them at a later date.

0 Likes
Pstreicher
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unplug the HDMI cable if you have HD DVR or you won't get any signal out the composite (Yellow, Red and White) cables.

I was told this by technical support and it worked after an hour of frustration trying everything I could think of. Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Pstreicher wrote:

Unplug the HDMI cable if you have HD DVR or you won't get any signal out the composite (Yellow, Red and White) cables.

I was told this by technical support and it worked after an hour of frustration trying everything I could think of. Hope this helps.

Absolutely not true!!!  I have the HDMI to my TV and the composite to my VCR and both are active (and so would the S-Video be as well).  All outputs are active simultaneously. I can view the DVR content (although letterboxed) and record trhough the VCR with no problems

0 Likes
KJH278
Enthusiast - Level 3
Where would I plug in the red,yellow and  white plugs  when I connect to to my VCR, linein or line out
0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1
Line in -- think of it as the signal is going INTO your vcr...then OUT of your vcr to the tv.  Thats how I always think about that stuff.
0 Likes
KJH278
Enthusiast - Level 3
what about the DVR  box where do the plugs go
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@KJH278 wrote:
what about the DVR  box where do the plugs go

Yellow to VIDEO OUT,  Red to AUDIO OUT RIGHT,  White to AUDIO OUT LEFT.  The inner ring of each jack on the DVR matches the color of the plug (as I said in an earlier post).  Try looking in the manual for the DVR - it shows these connections. 

If that is too complicated for you maybe you need to call and pay the Geek Squad or someone to do this for you.

0 Likes
KJH278
Enthusiast - Level 3
my dvdr  did not come with a yellow  cord, it came with 2 white one and a red one and if I take them out I get now sound
0 Likes
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

Those are component video. Presumably your DVR offers component video output, it isn't Blue ray, it is probably 480i or 480p. You can get higher quality playback from the DVR to the TV if you connect via component video. The available resolution over composite video (the yellow cable in the red/white/yellow set) is only food for about 330 lines of resolutions, and often less than than. The S-Video output if available is good for about 400 lines of resolution, and 480i or 480p is 480 lines resolution.

Normally these cables would connect to the back of a 'high end' late model SD TV with component inputs, and most HD TV's also support component input

The Cable provide Red, Green and Blue analog video if connected. Because there is no mixing of the color information, there is no 'un-mixing' necessary, so they tend to give purer colors and a sharper picture than composite video or S-Video.

0 Likes