Need list of HDTVs that "work" with HD DVR
mjcoss

I currently have a Samsung DLP connected to DVR box via the HDMI connector.  As many others have reported, I have periodic dropout of the HDMI signal.  I get a green screen, or snow and then the picture comes back after a few seconds.  The sound levels after this are muted, but eventually it recovers.

As it happens, the DLP set has just died, and given the cost of repair, I'm looking at getting a new tv.  Has anyone compiled a list of affected HDTVs?  I see a lot of Samsungs having issues.  Is it only the LCDs or are the Plasma sets affected too?

I'd like to see my new tv not have the same issue, and since some people's hdtvs must be working, I'd like to try and hedge my bet.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Need list of HDTVs that "work" with HD DVR
Justin46
Legend

This is just my opinion.

Any list you get is almost certain to be wrong; there will be sets on the list that won't work and sets omitted that will. The reason IMO is that the original HDMI specs were a little too loose in some of the technical details, and as a result every manufacturer interpreted them slightly differently, or designed their TVs with enough variability in their technical specs that some sets will work and others won't, even within the exact the same model.

For exmple, I have a 4 year old Sony Bravia KDL-V40XBR1. My set has worked perfectly with HDMI and the Verizon QIP6416 the entire time. However, I have seen multiple posts from people with the exact same set, or the sister 26" and 32" models, that have had HDMI problems with the exact same DVR. Another example, it seems that Samsung TVs are reported the most frequently as having problems, yet I have seen reports from people who say their Samsung works just fine, again even the exact same models.

Also you need to keep in mind that most people post on internet forums because they are unhappy, not because they like something, so when you see reports of problems with brand X you really have no idea what percentage of the total number of sets of that brand really have trouble. It may very well be extremely small, but still represent a large percent of the total problems you see.

On the positive side, I don't remember very many if any Sharp or Panasonic TVs reported as having problems. And people have said that recent Samsungs do not have the same problems as older ones. And I don't remember seeing many recent Sonys mentioned either.

I know this really doesn't help, but if you do get a list here or somewhere else I strongly suggest you be very cautious in believing it to be completely accurate. And focus on the newest models in any list you do see, whatever you buy will almost certainly be a new model and results for a new model may be completely different from older ones, even only a year old.

Again, just my opinion.

Keller, TX 76248

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I would still purchase the TV as you would without knowing about the problems. Pick the TV that looks the best to you with the features that you want.

then when you get home. Connect Verizon to it via component cables and avoid the whole HDMI issue altogether. Verizon's signal is 1080i so you will get the same picture quality whether you use HDMI or component. Since Verizon doesn't currently broadcast in 1080p, HDMI is not needed for top picture quality. So connecting the TV and Verizon on component cables, you will get the same pic quality without the hassles of the HDMI issues.

0 Likes
JeeperDon

You (all of us) are likely at firmware ver 1.6.2.   A few calls to VZ tech support have consistantly said that the ver 1.7 due out soon corrects the dropouts via HDMI.  It is a known problem to them, with a temp fix of going to component.  I have both cablings from my STB to my receiver and can toggle their use.

0 Likes