Need to transfer recorded content
ShortTimer2

I have a QIP 7232 DVR with recorded programs that I wish to transfer the mpeg video files (mp3 or mp4?) via the eSata connection on the rear of the DVR.  I need to be able to copy the files to either a folder on laptop, to my Maxtor external hard drive which already has family photos on it, or burn to a DVD via my laptop.  

Or, since I also just received a DVD player/recorder, I'm not sure if I could possibly utilize that if I am able to, and, if so, I'm not sure which port on the DVR would be utilized in that case.  

I am switching to Optimum and need to be able to (later on) view the recorded content either directly to my TV from my DVD player, or from my external drive or laptop directly, or through the Optimum DVR that I will be getting.  

Is there anything specifically that I need to know about how to proceed to do this without worrying about any possible encryption since I will not have Verizon's Motorola QIP7232 DVR in the future?

Is there any special/specific video transfer software needed to be downloaded first?

Can I just copy to a folder on my laptop?

Can I copy to my Maxtor external hard drive without worrying about needing to format that drive which already has pictures on it?

Do I need to use a certain brand/model external hard drive?

Alternatively, cab I just hook up the DVD recorder to the DVR and be abkle to copy the files that way?

0 Likes
Re: Need to transfer recorded content
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can't take anything off the external drive.

It is encrypted.

Only way to save something recorded is to play it back in real time and record it on a device that will accept aduo and video input.

0 Likes
ShortTimer2

Wow.  That stinks.  That is certainly not helpful in making things easy or convenient for the customer.  That figures.  I guess I'll have no recourse or option but to have to connect my DVD recorder to the DVR and do it that way.  I just hope that once I cancel my service witn Verizon tomorrow, but still have the DVR, that I will still be able to access those recorded programs on their DVR before I actually return it to them..   I just got the VHS/DVD recorder and have'nt had a chance to check it out regarding how to connect it to the DVR.   Do you happen to know which DVR ports would need be utilized for such a configuration?  

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are asking them to make it easy to take content you got on their service to another provider.

And rules from the content providers is what prvents you from being able to take content off the hard drive.

As for using your DVD recorder, it depends.

Best I can tell you is to connect an output of the STB to an input of your DVD recorder.

I can't help any more because I don't know options your DVD recorder has nor what cables you have to do it.

0 Likes