Netflix displaying in compressed letter box
bigmak1
Enthusiast - Level 2

when viewing Netflix, the image is viewed as a compressed  letter box.  I need to reboot box to get it to display as a normal image.

how do i correct?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Netflix displaying in compressed letter box
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bigmak wrote:

its not the tv.  if it was, then it would continue to letter box display after rebooting box.

its an issue being generated by the box.

When you reboot the box it renegotiates its HDMI connection with the TV, that also includes format information. Why are you so against checking the settings on your TV to solve the problem? Can you hook the box up to another TV or try a different input on the TV? Did you check the other settings on the box I suggested? If you still believe its the box, contact support support and ask for a new one.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bigmak wrote:

when viewing Netflix, the image is viewed as a compressed  letter box.  I need to reboot box to get it to display as a normal image.

how do i correct?

Try: menu>settings>system information>go to page two and press OK to reset the Netflix app. Might clear up the issue. If not, unplug power to the box for at least 3 minutes, plug it back in and see if that works.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are many titles on Netflix that are in 21:9 aspect ratio versus 16:9 which is why there is letterboxing. 

bigmak1
Enthusiast - Level 2

its not the content.  when the box is rebooted, it displays normally. 

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bigmak wrote:

its not the content.  when the box is rebooted, it displays normally. 

Did you try resetting the App like I suggested above?

bigmak1
Enthusiast - Level 2

yes.  still having issues with fios channels.  hasn't happen with netflix yet.  as you can see image is compressed into a letter box.

imageimage

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bigmak wrote:

yes.  still having issues with fios channels.  hasn't happen with netflix yet.  as you can see image is compressed into a letter box.

imageimage

First I can't see your images. Second you said you were having a problem with Netflix, has the reset I posted fixed that? Are the channels you are watching on regular Fios TV over channel 500? If not, they are the SD versions and would display as letterbox depending on the settings on your TV, or the Settings on your Fios box. Look at: Settings>audio and video>video settings>Video Format, should be 2160P if you have a 4K tv, 1080i if not. SD Override should be off, and TV Type should be 16x9. Any channel below 500 on the Fios box is in SD, so it will most likely display in letterbox unless your TV is set to zoom .

bigmak1
Enthusiast - Level 2

i'm only watching HD channels

and tv settings are not the cause.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bigmak wrote:

i'm only watching HD channels

and tv settings are not the cause.

After seeing the pictures it looks like the TV needs to be set to passthrough or 1:1, or whatever Samsung calls full screen. Did you check the other settings I suggested? It is a format mismatch between the TV and box. You have to look at a correct combination of the two to get it right.

bigmak1
Enthusiast - Level 2

its not the tv.  if it was, then it would continue to letter box display after rebooting box.

its an issue being generated by the box.

0 Likes