New Customer ONT connection questions
mblake59
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just signed up for TV and Internet service and have questions about how the connections from the ONT to the DVR and the 2 set top boxes will be made.  It sounds like there will be a coax cable from the ONT to Verizon's wireless router which will then be connected to my computers to provide Internet service.   In order to receive VOD and the Guide on the DVR and the 2 set top boxes, do they also need to be fed from the wireless router?  If not, are they fed from the same ONT coax cable output as the router via a splitter?  Or is there a separate ONT coax cable output that is dedicated for the DVR and set top box connections?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New Customer ONT connection questions
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

@mblake59 wrote:

I just signed up for TV and Internet service and have questions about how the connections from the ONT to the DVR and the 2 set top boxes will be made.  It sounds like there will be a coax cable from the ONT to Verizon's wireless router which will then be connected to my computers to provide Internet service.   In order to receive VOD and the Guide on the DVR and the 2 set top boxes, do they also need to be fed from the wireless router?  If not, are they fed from the same ONT coax cable output as the router via a splitter?  Or is there a separate ONT coax cable output that is dedicated for the DVR and set top box connections?

Below is the most common type of connection. (MoCA)

ONT--------->>Splitter-------->>STBs and router.  

All coxial cables. Depending how far the ONT , STBs and router will be far from each other , tech might need to install more than 1 splitter.  Router will get connection via coaxial cable from splitter. You can connect PCs with ethernet cable to router. Also use wireless if you laptops etc. Same ONT coaxial cable output will be used for VOD , Guide on STBs and internet signal to router.

Other connection type. (Non - MoCA)

In this connection type , the only difference is that you will be provided internet connection to router using an ethernet cable straight from ONT. The coaxial cable from ONT will provide TV RF signal to STBs. There will be still spliter/s to connect STB and router with a coaxial connection to get VOD and guide.

Hope this helps. There are more connection types too but they are not common for homes 

View solution in original post

Re: New Customer ONT connection questions
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

@mblake59 wrote:

Below is the most common type of connection. (MoCA)

ONT--------->>Splitter-------->>STBs and router.  

All coxial cables. Depending how far the ONT , STBs and router will be far from each other , tech might need to install more than 1 splitter.  Router will get connection via coaxial cable from splitter. You can connect PCs with ethernet cable to router. Also use wireless if you laptops etc. Same ONT coaxial cable output will be used for VOD , Guide on STBs and internet signal to router.

Other connection type. (Non - MoCA)

In this connection type , the only difference is that you will be provided internet connection to router using an ethernet cable straight from ONT. The coaxial cable from ONT will provide TV RF signal to STBs. There will be still spliter/s to connect STB and router with a coaxial connection to get VOD and guide.

Hope this helps. There are more connection types too but they are not common for homes