New FIOS TV customer - why are they still giving customers QIP6416 MRDVRs???
vz_gs
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had FIOS TV installed the day before yesterday and they installed a QIP6416. The technician and I were  wondering why the screens and features presented on Verizon's tutorial channel don't match up with the DVR they provided. After doing some research, I found that the QIP6416 Mult-Room DVR does not support  many of the features in the 1.9 IMG software that they are showing on the tutorial channel.

I tried calling Technical Support a few times yesterday and they told me they couldn't help because they are only allowed to ship customers they same model that they already have. They kept forwarding me over to "customer care" and billing which was pointless because they don't have any knowledge about the various models and have no ability to order a specific model. 

I am in Maryland. I don't know why they are still installing this old equipment but as you can imagine it is very frustrating not being able to resolve this. Also, as a new customer I don't feel it is fair to try and force me to pay $40 to upgrade using the program for existing cutomers. I am already disappointed with Verizon customer support and going around in circles.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the QIP6416 replaced with a QIP7232?

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New FIOS TV customer - why are they still giving customers QIP6416 MRDVRs???
BrianC
Contributor - Level 3

Others in this forum have mentioned that they've been able to swap out their old DVR for the 7332 at a local Verizon retail store at no charge.

View solution in original post

Re: New FIOS TV customer - why are they still giving customers QIP6416 MRDVRs???
matcarl
Master - Level 1

Maryland hasn't received the update anyway, very few people have it right now.

0 Likes
oneintouch
Enthusiast - Level 3

Welcome to the board. 

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but for me, with 1.9 looming on the horizon, I'd be proactive and just pay the $40 for the new (awesome!) high-capacity DVR.   This way you'll not only be 1.9-compatible, but you won't have to be concerned about running out of recording space (like I was with my old DVR).   I did pay the $40 upgrade fee and I'm not disappointed that I made that decision, even though I thought it was a bit unfair to existing FiOS customers.  

0 Likes
oneintouch
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually, on second thought, aren't  you eligible for Verizon's free multi-room DVR for life promotion?  

0 Likes
BrianC
Contributor - Level 3

Others in this forum have mentioned that they've been able to swap out their old DVR for the 7332 at a local Verizon retail store at no charge.

Keyboards
Master - Level 3

That assumes there is a "local" Verizon store that carries STBs.  Not everyone is conveniently near one.

vz_gs
Enthusiast - Level 1

>Actually, on second thought, aren't  you eligible for Verizon's free multi-room DVR for life promotio

Thanks for the suggestion, but it looks like that offer isn't available in Maryland. Only "select" areas of NY, NJ and CT.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

the only way you will be able to get a different model (as of now anyway) is to take the box down to the local presence center (assuming you have one nearby) and exchange it for a different model.

None of the phone based options with Verizon will be able to insure a diffent model. Everyone you reach by phone can only ship a new STB to you and what you get depends on what is next on the shelf. Its all automated. A request is made, the automated system grabs one off the shelf and applies a shipping label to it. No human interaction to determine the model.

My buddy at Verizon says that they hope to have a new system in place by the time the 1.9 goes nation wide for upgrades, but at this time they dont have anything. So going down to a store, where a human can check to see what is on the shelf is the only way to insure what you get.

Except for the $40 upgrade to the 7232, that is the only "upgrade" service available at this time.

oneintouch
Enthusiast - Level 3

@vz_gs wrote:

>Actually, on second thought, aren't  you eligible for Verizon's free multi-room DVR for life promotio

Thanks for the suggestion, but it looks like that offer isn't available in Maryland. Only "select" areas of NY, NJ and CT.

I looked into that.  You're correct.  That stinks!!

Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas at this point, but consider that many of the existing FiOS customers, including myself, were forced to pay the $40 DVR upgrade fee for the new high-capacity DVR.   Looking back on it though, in my opinion, I feel that the $40 fee was worth eliminating the headaches we had with the older DVR.  No more "managing" the limited space on the DVR, and I'm free to record basically all the HD content that I want.   To date, I think the most recording space that we've used was 62%. 

The pending 1.9 update is another thing that you'll want to factor into making your decision.  Speaking from my personal experience with the new DVR, I'd just pay the fee and get the latest and greatest machine.   The whole DVR upgrade process is very easy, too.  The new DVR is delivered to your door, you swap the old machine with the new, and you put the old DVR in the box, slap on the pre-paid shipping label and send the old DVR back. 

Again, I know that this probably isn't the answer that you want to hear, but I'm out of suggestions at this point.  

0 Likes
jmschnur

I managed to get a 7232 on my recent install.

1. On order I said I would not accept anything but a 7232.

2. Called service support and confirmed that my AVR would no work with other models due to HDMI problems.

3. They Called Encore and gave me a ticket # confirming the requirement for a 7232.

4. The serve person called the local installers the day before and confirmed this to them

5. In my confirmation reply for my new order I quoted the ticket # and stated that with out a 7232 there would be no install.

6. When the technician called the the day of the install I asked if he had read the emails etc. He said no. I said that there would be no install unless he showed up with the 7232.

7. One hour later he was at my door with the 7232.

The install was great. The tech was great and so far all is working fine.

0 Likes