New FIOS User; Remote, DVR, and MusicChoice
ezsdfl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, finally made the switch from Xfinity to FIOS this week.  I have a few questions, looking for any help would be appreciative.

Remote:

I have a CEC compatibility issue between my Yamaha soundbar (ATS-1080) and my Samsung UN6900 TV.   In short, the Samsung won't power on the Yamaha (all firmware is up to date, tried different cables, disabling AnyNet, etc.).  If I manually power on the Yamaha, the two work great via AnyNet/CEC (volume control, power off, etc.).   So, I'm forced to run the two via optical cable for audio.  To further complicate things, the position of the soundbar and the TV is setup where it's tricky to get the IR to catch both devices just right.  Neither device support an IR blaster. 

My goal is to leave the soundbar always on.

My question... Is there any way to tell the Verizon TV One Voice Remote to only control the volume of the A/V device -- e.g., preventing it from powering on/off the audio device/receiver?   Volume Up/Down, Mute only...

With the older cable remotes you could program various devices and/or simply tell the remote to power on the TV and the Cable box together via a macro.  This One Voice remote wants to power on the Audio Receiver.

DVR:

From what I read, DVR show playback is not permitted when logged in via a computer/laptop.  Is this still accurate?   I see my shows, but there's no "Watch" option.

MusicChoice:

This seems to be a long-standing issue, but every time I pull up a MusicChoice audio channel, that awful Video widget app comes up.  How do I disable this from happening?   Hitting "Exit" twice is annoying.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: New FIOS User; Remote, DVR, and MusicChoice
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@ezsdfl wrote:

Hi, finally made the switch from Xfinity to FIOS this week.  I have a few questions, looking for any help would be appreciative.

Remote:

I have a CEC compatibility issue between my Yamaha soundbar (ATS-1080) and my Samsung UN6900 TV.   In short, the Samsung won't power on the Yamaha (all firmware is up to date, tried different cables, disabling AnyNet, etc.).  If I manually power on the Yamaha, the two work great via AnyNet/CEC (volume control, power off, etc.).   So, I'm forced to run the two via optical cable for audio.  To further complicate things, the position of the soundbar and the TV is setup where it's tricky to get the IR to catch both devices just right.  Neither device support an IR blaster. 

My goal is to leave the soundbar always on.

My question... Is there any way to tell the Verizon TV One Voice Remote to only control the volume of the A/V device -- e.g., preventing it from powering on/off the audio device/receiver?   Volume Up/Down, Mute only...

With the older cable remotes you could program various devices and/or simply tell the remote to power on the TV and the Cable box together via a macro.  This One Voice remote wants to power on the Audio Receiver.

DVR:

From what I read, DVR show playback is not permitted when logged in via a computer/laptop.  Is this still accurate?   I see my shows, but there's no "Watch" option.

MusicChoice:

This seems to be a long-standing issue, but every time I pull up a MusicChoice audio channel, that awful Video widget app comes up.  How do I disable this from happening?   Hitting "Exit" twice is annoying.

Thanks.

Not sure but if you wipe the current remote programming and redo it using the manual method, you should get the choice of audio device. Choose the one you want the remote to control and you should be OK. Also make sure Video input control is off in the Fios video menu.

0 Likes
Re: New FIOS User; Remote, DVR, and MusicChoice
ezsdfl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response.  I tried the below, but no luck.  The remote is working as intended.  However, I wish there was a way in the setup to enable/disable the remote control from being able to power on the audio device.

What I ended up doing as a work around was:

• FIOS One remote setup to control both the Samsung NU6900 4K TV as well as the Yamaha ATS-1080 (using the model prior YAS107 model number).
  • Samsung TV; AnyNet/CEC enabled. 
  • Yamaha ATS-1080 HDMI Control disabled.
  • Repositioned the Yamaha soundbar to make its IR port more "available" and exposed.  Unfortunately, neither the Samsung TV nor the Yamaha soundbar have IR blaster/extender ports.
  • Tried changing Video Input Control on the FIOS box on and off.

In the above, Samsung will not send any HDMI commands over to the soundbar and meets my needs.  The FIOS remote will power both devices on and off as well as use the adjust the volume and mute on the Yamaha as desired. 

0 Likes