New FIOS installation question
kenworth2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello all,

What happens to the old copper wires going to our four phones if/when we decide to switch to FIOS ??

I read in the service agreement that they don't "fish" wires thru walls !

We have regular phone service and DSL now over the "very old" copper wires from the pole and into the house.

Thanks..Ken

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New FIOS installation question
Justin46
Legend

FiOS bring fiber to your home and terminates the fiber in the ONT, usually on the outside of your home. From there a copper connection is made to your existing phone NID, and thus your existing phone copper is used inside your house. The outside copper wires are either left in place but unused, or are removed (or you may have the option if you really, really insist to keep your phone on the existing copper from the pole).

Your internet and TV (either or both) will typically be connected via coax from the ONT to a Verizon router somewhere inside your house. If you are getting TV, they will normally use your existing coax, assuming you have it, to your TVs. If you have existing CAT 5/6 ethernet cable, or care to install your own, from the area where the ONT is installed to where the router will be placed, you can use the that instead of the coax for the internet portion of your installation.

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

FiOS bring fiber to your home and terminates the fiber in the ONT, usually on the outside of your home. From there a copper connection is made to your existing phone NID, and thus your existing phone copper is used inside your house. The outside copper wires are either left in place but unused, or are removed (or you may have the option if you really, really insist to keep your phone on the existing copper from the pole).

Your internet and TV (either or both) will typically be connected via coax from the ONT to a Verizon router somewhere inside your house. If you are getting TV, they will normally use your existing coax, assuming you have it, to your TVs. If you have existing CAT 5/6 ethernet cable, or care to install your own, from the area where the ONT is installed to where the router will be placed, you can use the that instead of the coax for the internet portion of your installation.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
gpf1

to: Justin

I have waited over 2 years to finally get the fios wiring in my place. It took over 3 months to get an appointment for the Fios wiring installation which started last December and was finally installed on 3-15-19 and completed on 3-19-12.

There were 3 teams of techs that came, first one did the drop from the telephone line to my place, 2nd team did the exterior wiring and put the hookup for the fiber inside my place. and the 3rd team did the splicing and line check to make sure the signal strength was ok.and a SM supervisor(Aaron) verified with his tech (Jessie) that all of the work was completed in the buildings. I was told that their was a final step to update my address(Index) into Fio availablity screen which would take 2-3 days, 1 week at the maximium.

The problem is it is now going on week 3 and I have spoken to over 6 people from Verizon Fios to give me an update as to when I can order Fios and no one has contacted.

Just recently a Fios engineer from Santa Monica, CA named Albert was suppose to call me last Thurday and never did call me. Albert want to me a give him an update on the work done?

I want your service but I am now tempted to stay with Time Warner or go to Direct TV.

I can not recommend your Fios to anyone who wants to get it real fast because no one knows what is going on, they lie to you, and their is no accountability in the Santa Monica, CA engineering department. They just tell you what you want to hear.

Your Fios tech support makes it impossible to speak to any in the Santa Monica, CA engineering department.  The last fios tech support I spoke to was in Dallax, TX.

Can you help me. Glenn

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@gpf wrote:

to: Justin

I have waited over 2 years to finally get the fios wiring in my place. It took over 3 months to get an appointment for the Fios wiring installation which started last December and was finally installed on 3-15-19 and completed on 3-19-12.

There were 3 teams of techs that came, first one did the drop from the telephone line to my place, 2nd team did the exterior wiring and put the hookup for the fiber inside my place. and the 3rd team did the splicing and line check to make sure the signal strength was ok.and a SM supervisor(Aaron) verified with his tech (Jessie) that all of the work was completed in the buildings. I was told that their was a final step to update my address(Index) into Fio availablity screen which would take 2-3 days, 1 week at the maximium.

The problem is it is now going on week 3 and I have spoken to over 6 people from Verizon Fios to give me an update as to when I can order Fios and no one has contacted.

Just recently a Fios engineer from Santa Monica, CA named Albert was suppose to call me last Thurday and never did call me. Albert want to me a give him an update on the work done?

I want your service but I am now tempted to stay with Time Warner or go to Direct TV.

I can not recommend your Fios to anyone who wants to get it real fast because no one knows what is going on, they lie to you, and their is no accountability in the Santa Monica, CA engineering department. They just tell you what you want to hear.

Your Fios tech support makes it impossible to speak to any in the Santa Monica, CA engineering department.  The last fios tech support I spoke to was in Dallax, TX.

Can you help me. Glenn

Glen,

I cannot help you directly myself, I am just a customer. But I have brought your issue to Verizon's attention so hopefully someone will contact you, by phone, email, or private message here in the forums (for a private message, look for the white envelope in the upper right corner of the forums web pages to turn yellow or green or some color other than white, not sure exactly what color it will be as I am color blind).

If someone from Verizon doesn't contact you within a day or two, please come back here and give us an update and one of us can try again to get Verizon's attention to your problem.

I hope this helps you to get the service. I am a very satisfied 6 1/2 year FiOS customer, great product in my opinion.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes