Re: New FiOS TV One
IOTman

I just ordered the new Fios TV One.  Does anyone know if I can use this box with Alexa, like my previous STB? Thanks. 

0 Likes
mitch0531
Enthusiast - Level 3

Although I don't personally have any Alexa devices, I can tell you that there is a section in the settings for the new FiOS one box for configuring Alexa. So the capability appears to be there. I have Google Home devices which does not yet work with the new boxes. But the voice remote works very well for controlling the box also.

KevSha72
Enthusiast - Level 2

Does anyone know if the new FiOS TV One boxes are compatible with the Harmony Elite remote?

0 Likes
jlgnyc11
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same first impression: picture quality is very noticeably sharper - I have a newer Samsung 4K model which already looked great when I switched to fios from Spectrum and this was so noticeably better than even that, that my 13 year old daughter noticed it without even knowing it was a feature (no placebo effect lol).  I also detect better sound processing on my audio equipment.

The remote itself is also a nice upgrade.  They’ve simplified it.  Echoing another comment, the only thing it lacks is a DVR button but it’s easy just to press the mic button and say “DVR” and it instantly pulls up the DVR (or go via menu).  The remote is lighter, much more ergonomic, and lights up just bright enough to see in a dark room but not wake up anybody sleeping nearby.

Also, addressing another post, it DOES control tv and sep audio components.  There are pretty straightforward instructions within the menu under voice control-voice remote.  It can auto-detect the TV model via HDMI, or you can manually set up if you have audio components and even the manual setup is far easier than the old code-entering method (it’s all automated and keeps testing until you hit the mark, narrowed by brand).  It even was able to connect to my 12 year old, out of production B&K components home theater receiver - a rarity in multi-function remotes.  And easily connected to my Samsung sound bar in another room.

Big thumbs up from this tech lover.  Highly recommend.  Easy as can be to set up- uses identical power and cables from last boxes so you don’t even need to use the ones they deliver.  And they send a return shipping label making the whole process easy.  I don’t mind the 50 bucks one time fee.  Just an opinion... pretty cheap upgrade considering no increase in monthly bill for a substantially upgraded experience.  

blueribb
Contributor - Level 1

I chatted with Verizon yesterday and asked about the cost of upgrading my current Arris VMS1100 to the TV ONE. He said it would be a one-time charge of $50. When asked if there was an additional monthly charge, I did not get a reply. Here are a list of questions about the TV ONE:

1 - Costs involved to upgrade current Arris VMS1100 Media Server / DVR ?

2 - Can the TV ONE be controlled via Infrared (IR) ? I use a Harmony 650 now and also control using Alexa with an Echo Plus and Harmony Hub.

3 - Can I backup my current Arris VMS1100 DVR and restore the shows / settings to the new TV ONE ?

0 Likes
Mum_44-55
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, there's no DVR button on the new remote, but you can just say "DVR" & it'll bring up your DVR with all your recordings & the menu. 

0 Likes
Re: New Fios TV 1
asonnick
Enthusiast - Level 2

Has this changed at all? I have the orbi. 

0 Likes
aes5

stb is a scam or they would have purchase option. 

0 Likes
mikemary945
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just received a quote here in Fredericksburg, VA to move to it (7 STBs, 2 DVRs), and the quote is approximately $30 less per month than my current Quantum setup.  I haven't decided to make the switch yet, which is why I'm here reading all the reviews, questions and answers.

Mike

0 Likes
mitch0531
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am very happy I switched. I would do it if I were you especially if you were going to save $30. It's a no brainer.