Re: New FiOS TV One
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just FYI, with the 4100 boxes as of now all audio is output in Dolby 5 channel regardless of source. There is no 480 pass through, or aspect ratio button on the new remote. There is one HDMI output, one optical audio out and one composite with audio out on the 4100, a dongle to get composite from mini. The 4100 has both RF and IR remote capabilities.

skullman801

Are there any options other than running coax/ethernet or using Verizons network extender to get better wifi signal to the mini? My one is on the back porch and wifi signal is hurt by a brick wall.  I have a netgear extender but the verizon box doesn't pick that up. The SSID for the box is different than the normal one broadcast by router for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz band.  There has to be some solution no?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

For now, no.

Not sure exaclty why (maybe for traffic control) verizon will connect to the STBs via a separate network.

The options for mins are Verizon Wifi, ethernet or coax.

mikemary945
Enthusiast - Level 2

Woops......I thought my savings were going to be $30, and the final quote is almost a $50 savings.  Equipment arrived in 3 days, but I want to talk to FIOS Tech about my nightmare COAX setup and my WIFI before I install.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Problem is the new boxes need to communicate with the FIOS router directly because they use a hidden network that can only be seen on the router. So an extender wont work with the mini wireless, unless the FIOS extender is capable of repeating the hidden network.

EveyG

I've had them since Jan. While I'm glad I saw 4k support I do miss the digital screen in front of the old stbs. New fios one box has no screens in front and the mini boxes for other rooms can be used wireless without need for coaxial cables although I choose to use the coax cable instead of them using the hidden ssid on my router hogging up my 5ghz that I rather my devices use instead. Overall their great and a big improvement the remotes are Bluetooth so no more facing it to the TV you can be in another room and still change channels with remote. Video experience is the same except ui is in 4k but it's not up scaling movies into 4k quality at least not yet

Maybe when movies are in 4k it would say 4k instead of HD when you hit info on what you watching. Overall no complaints here. 

0 Likes
Cygnus2112
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the review. I'm currently a Fios Quantum customer, internet is great, tv . . . meh. I don't quite understand the upgrade. Verizon has not worked out the bugs in the Quantum tv, audio sync issues and my big complaint, tv's in adjacent rooms, are out of sync/slight delay on the same channel. Inherent problem with the client/server setup that they use, I have been told. I end up turning down audio on one tv. Can client boxes be used with coax? or wifi only? Do the delay/sync issues still exist? I already have Roku 4K capability, not sure how great an 'upgrade' this is, as Verizon never really solved Quantum issues. Will it be more of the same? Improved hardware but they can't really get it dialed in. Thanks, Shawn

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cygnus2112 wrote:

Thanks for the review. I'm currently a Fios Quantum customer, internet is great, tv . . . meh. I don't quite understand the upgrade. Verizon has not worked out the bugs in the Quantum tv, audio sync issues and my big complaint, tv's in adjacent rooms, are out of sync/slight delay on the same channel. Inherent problem with the client/server setup that they use, I have been told. I end up turning down audio on one tv. Can client boxes be used with coax? or wifi only? Do the delay/sync issues still exist? I already have Roku 4K capability, not sure how great an 'upgrade' this is, as Verizon never really solved Quantum issues. Will it be more of the same? Improved hardware but they can't really get it dialed in. Thanks, Shawn

Client boxes work well with coax, delay issues you mention still exist, at least between 4100 and mini, 4K content is only sports on occation and only one channel, and most definately a work in progress. You have much more 4K content on you Roku right now.

Cygnus2112
Enthusiast - Level 1

@clem53 wrote:

@Cygnus2112 wrote:

Client boxes work well with coax, delay issues you mention still exist, at least between 4100 and mini, 4K content is only sports on occation and only one channel, and most definately a work in progress. You have much more 4K content on you Roku right now.

Thanks for the response, I will wait for now.

0 Likes
Tearuup
Enthusiast - Level 2

Im installing tv one this weekend and have a question.  Did you run the optical cable from the tv one box to the sound bar?  Mine is currently run from sound bar to tv in old stb.

0 Likes