Re: New FiOS TV One
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

The new boxes work 100% with the old IR remotes as long as you have line of sight,  or an IR blaster. As far as the networking questions,  someone else with experience swapping out the Fios router will have to help you. It's not a simple swap.

salazare
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Clem, that's good to hear.

When you say it is not a simple swap with the wires, what do you mean?  Speaking with the online support, they seemed pretty sure it would work with the existing coax and Ethernet.  Using WiFi is completely optional.  It was the IR they were not sure about.

Thanks.

Ernie

0 Likes
mitch0531
Enthusiast - Level 3

Regarding the cable boxes I think it is just a simple swap to the new boxes, coax to coax Ethernet to Ethernet. Swapping the FiOS router with your own or using both is more complicated but it sounds like you have that part under control. I have used the old FiOS remote with the new boxes but the new remotes are pretty good so I use them exclusively now. I like the voice feature and that you don't need a direct line of site to the box. The new remotes work nicely with all of my TV's and sound bars. But the old remotes should be fine if you prefer those.

salazare
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Mitch.  Thats a big help.

I actually run the 1100 gateway router in my setup but I have its wifi turned off so I can use my router and not risk any interference.

I actually dont use the Fios remotes at all, I use my own programmable ones.  So by confirming that the FIOS IR remotes will still work with the new boxes I know I can still use my programmable ones.

Thanks again.

Ernie

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@salazare wrote:

Thanks Clem, that's good to hear.

When you say it is not a simple swap with the wires, what do you mean?  Speaking with the online support, they seemed pretty sure it would work with the existing coax and Ethernet.  Using WiFi is completely optional.  It was the IR they were not sure about.

Thanks.

Ernie

If you try to completely replace the Fios 1100 router you'll run into some serious networking issues. Not that it cant be done, but the Fios router has to be the primary for updates for the boxes. Swapping boxes is simply plug and play, with a dose of setup mixed in.

salazare
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks again Clem.  Yep, I keep the 1100 for that exact reason.  I would prefer not need it at all but, like you said, it would be to difficult to not have it in the setup.

It's actually a decent router.  I just prefer my own.  

Ernie

Rabbit26

I just chatted with 'Brittany' who informed me that in order for me to upgrade to FiOS TV One I will also need to upgrade my router. 

I currently have the FiOS Quantum Gateway Router that I picked up from Ebay. I wanted to make sure I get something that Verizon was selling themselves so I can get the best experience with the Gigabit internet. Otherwise I would've gotten anything else.

Also, side note, their installation instructions show the TV One being installed with a quantum gateway router. Has anyone heard if this is true? Or just a case of misinformed reps?

0 Likes
salazare
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same here.

Verizon is something else I tell you.  About a month ago I upgraded to gigabit with a shiny new Quantum Gateway Router since my prior "Red" router couldnt handle the speed.  Fine, I use my own WIFI router anyway so I just turn off the Fios WiFi part.

Then I go to order the new STBs which, I thought, was going to keep me at the same price.  But, I guess I didnt look closely enough at check-out because what they did was actually un-select the premium channels I was subscribed to.  So, it looked my my monthly bill was the same but was in fact going UP by $40 /month which was masked by the automated removal of the premiums.  Huh!?

I immediately cancelled the order and figured I would try again and pay closer attention.  But, guess what, the options have changed and it would not allow me to place an order without upgrading to the new "Home" router - G3100.  Yes, it is an AX router which is a step up from the Gateway AC - yippee.  It is only useful IF you have AX capable devices - very few people do.  And, of course, they wanted an extra $300 for it.

I called many different FIOS lines and chats and got all kind of different answers.  Tech support said that it didnt make sense since the Gateway is perfectly compatible with the Fios TV One boxes.  But any attempt to place and order was blocked without order the new router - the sales people can only do what the computer screen show them.

Needless to say, I am still running the old boxes. 

Ernie

0 Likes
ronrak

Wait until you try to find a Users Guide for the new TV ONE AND REMOTE... and you’ll need one or you will be playing a lot of trial and error like we have... if you find one, please let me know.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ronrak wrote:

Wait until you try to find a Users Guide for the new TV ONE AND REMOTE... and you’ll need one or you will be playing a lot of trial and error like we have... if you find one, please let me know.

Did you look here?

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/tv/equipment/remote-control/voice-remote