New OLED77CXPUA T.V. seems dark on FIOS TV one
tward392
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just installed a new T.V. OLED77CXPUA, the picture coming from the FIOS TV one DVR seems dark, I've played with the T.V. settings, is there something else I am missing?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New OLED77CXPUA T.V. seems dark on FIOS TV one
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@clem53 wrote:

@tward392 wrote:

Bridgerton couldn't have been 4K, I downed my Netflix plan when they went up in price.  I have the "Watch on 2 screens at a time. Full HD (1080p) available. Download videos on 2 phones or tablets." plan.

I just kept hearing about the picture quality of these OLED's but was a little shocked how dark it can get!

Seems like a big switch from the LED's.  But I'll tinker with it more and more.

One more source for example settings:

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/lg-cx-oled-tv-2020-picture-settings-and-hdr-notes/?ts=159257...

Here is an exzmple of the difference between the brightness of your

OLED vs an LCD;

OLED:

SDR Real Scene Peak Brightness321 cd/m²
SDR Peak 2% Window459 cd/m²
SDR Peak 10% Window456 cd/m²
SDR Peak 25% Window414 cd/m²
SDR Peak 50% Window340 cd/m²
SDR Peak 100% Window176 cd/m²
SDR Sustained 2% Window439 cd/m²
SDR Sustained 10% Window435 cd/m²
SDR Sustained 25% Window395 cd/m²
SDR Sustained 50% Window324 cd/m²
SDR Sustained 100% Window146 cd/m²
SDR ABL0.069

LCD:
SDR Real Scene Peak Brightness610 cd/m²
SDR Peak 2% Window1162 cd/m²
SDR Peak 10% Window1402 cd/m²
SDR Peak 25% Window929 cd/m²
SDR Peak 50% Window733 cd/m²
SDR Peak 100% Window541 cd/m²
SDR Sustained 2% Window1111 cd/m²
SDR Sustained 10% Window1361 cd/m²
SDR Sustained 25% Window925 cd/m²
SDR Sustained 50% Window730 cd/m²
SDR Sustained 100% Window538 cd/m²
SDR ABL0.048

You can see the LCD is brighter overall, but lacks the true blacks and viewing angle of the OLED. The LCD example was a Samsung, Some others are even brighter.

If you have no plan to watch 4K HDR from Fios, you may want to turn off Ultra HD Deep Color on the Fios input as this might give you bad color tracking with HD SDR programming.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tward392 wrote:

Just installed a new T.V. OLED77CXPUA, the picture coming from the FIOS TV one DVR seems dark, I've played with the T.V. settings, is there something else I am missing?

Look at the input menu on the TV for a setting like expanded color or wide color and enable it for the input the Fios box is connected to.

tward392
Enthusiast - Level 3

HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color is turned on, is that the setting?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tward392 wrote:

HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color is turned on, is that the setting?

Yes, but is there an AUTO setting for that? Is the Fios box output set to 2160 or 1080? Is the HDR setting in the Fios video menu set to ON?

tward392
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't see one, it looks like you can turn it on or off for each of the 4 HDMI ports.

FIOS box is set to:

Video Format:  2160p 16:9

HDR Setting:  Enabled

Video Sharpness:  5

I turned the Energy Saver from Auto to Off on the T.V. and that brightened it up a bit.

I'm thinking this is mostly probably settings on the T.V. vs the FIOS box, my previous LED wasn't this dark, so I think it's just a difference in pictures from OLED to LED.

I'm going to keep messing with it, not giving up because this is supposed to be one hell of a T.V. 

Was just looking to see if anyone else had noticed this with OLED and FIOS...

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tward392 wrote:

I don't see one, it looks like you can turn it on or off for each of the 4 HDMI ports.

FIOS box is set to:

I turned the Energy Saver from Auto to Off on the T.V. and that brightened it up a bit.

I'm thinking this is mostly probably settings on the T.V. vs the FIOS box, my previous LED wasn't this dark, so I think it's just a difference in pictures from OLED to LED.

I'm going to keep messing with it, not giving up because this is supposed to be one hell of a T.V. 

You just hit the nail on the head! The OLED TVs are a lot dimmer than comparable sized LCD TVs. That is their main disadvantage. Otherwise they do have the BEST picture quality of all the TVs. You need to go to Rtings.com and look for their setup recommendations for your TV. That will help you get the most out of it. You might want to look at the OLED light setting and make sure it's at least 80 or higher, especially if you are in a fairly bright room.

Also look here:

https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/best-picture-settings-for-your-lg-4k-or-4k-oled-tv-CT1000...

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@clem53 wrote:

@tward392 wrote:

FIOS box is set to:

You just hit the nail on the head! The OLED TVs are a lot dimmer than comparable sized LCD TVs. That is their main disadvantage. Otherwise they do have the BEST picture quality of all the TVs. You need to go to Rtings.com and look for their setup recommendations for your TV. That will help you get the most out of it. You might want to look at the OLED light setting and make sure it's at least 80 or higher, especially if you are in a fairly bright room.

Also look here:

https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/best-picture-settings-for-your-lg-4k-or-4k-oled-tv-CT1000...

I forgot to add, if the Fios box is a main box, you can leave HDR enabled in the Fios menu. If it is a mini, you should DISABLE HDR in the mini unless the programming you are watching IS HDR, or the box will convert all programming to HDR and give you the wrong colorspace for non-HDR content. The mini is NOT capable of correctly doing the conversion to HDR from SR programming.

tward392
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, it seems content related I guess.  I started the first episode the Bridgerton series on Netflix and with the Vivid Picture mode chosen and Energy Saver off on the T.V. the picture is amazing.

Went back to watch Big Sky off of the FIOS One DVR and while to me it is still a good picture, it is a lot darker.

Also turned on Midnight Sky on Netflix and it was darker, but of course it was a darker scene as well.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Part of what you see is the advantage OLED has over LCD. OLED has absolute blacks, where LCD can only get to about 90% on the best tvs. You might want to see if there is some kind of auto black level adjustment, or dynamic contrast which you should disable, or raise the BRIGHTNESS a bit to compensate for the overly dark image. BTW, great choice!

Follow these recommendations and I think you'll be a LOT happier after a few days:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled/settings

tward392
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, I'll take a look at rtings again.

It's definitely taking a little getting used to, but like I said the opening to the first episode of Bridgerton  looked amazing!