New Subscriber 72xx STB
rbc310

My installation was just completed yesterday and the first thing I noticed was the difference in picture quality compared to my DirecTV service.  For me, the DirecTV was far superior, especially in non-HD.  So, I started reading the forums to find a workaround and have seen that the 1.6.1 software update may improve? 

I really don' t want to wait around for a software update just to get me back to the picture quality I had last week.  I have also seen that the new 72xx STB can fix it without the software update.  IIn addition, the DirecTV had support for 1080p which evidently is only supportable on the 72xx.

So, has anyone been able to replace the 6416/6200 with a 72xx?  If not, I am considering cancelling the Fios TV part until this is resolved. I'd rather spend the next few weeks watching a decent SD picture and reconnect when the updates are out.  In addition, since my TVs are both 1080p, I really don't like the fact that I won't be able to view 1080p simply because the installer happened to give me the older model receivers.

0 Likes
Re: New Subscriber 72xx STB
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@rbc310 wrote:

... I have also seen that the new 72xx STB can fix it without the software update.  IIn addition, the DirecTV had support for 1080p which evidently is only supportable on the 72xx.  ...

The 72xx has other issues which may or may not bother you more. Audio stutter after skip forward or reverse and channel not available error to name 2.  

Also, none of the Motorola STBs used by Verizon support 1080p - the 72xx still only supports up to 1080i (to my knowledge there are currently no commercially available 1080p sources other than BluRay and Dish's new on demand ).

0 Likes
rbc310

I do know that the DirecTV now supports 1080p for movies.  I have yet to see one, but it is a new feature as of ~2 weeks ago.

Otherwise, from what I can tell, the 72xx offers a few things the 6416 does not

1) better SD picture quality without the pending software update

2) eSATA  in the future

3) MPEG-4 support

There is also a statement in the 7200 User Guide which I don't see in the 6xxx User Guide:  " In addition to high-quality audio and video, the QIP receiver has the capability to deliver high-speed data services such as Internet access, e-mail, IP telephony, e-commerce, and home banking."

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@rbc310 wrote:

I do know that the DirecTV now supports 1080p for movies.  I have yet to see one, but it is a new feature as of ~2 weeks ago.

Not arguing, but I can't find anything indicating this on DirecTV's web site.  I know I have seen ads from Dish for 1080p on their download psedo-on-demand.

Just wanted to point out that there are other issues with the 72xx series.  And you left out that it has more memory and a faster processor Smiley Happy .  As for E-SATA and MPEG-4 capability I am well aware of those options with the key word being option.  Verizon does not currently support E-SATA and there is no proposed date for availability and nothing is carried in MPEG-4 (and not likely to be for a long time due to all the MPEG-2 only equipment already in the field).

0 Likes
rbc310

No problem, thanks for the response.  The memory and CPU seemed important but I am not sure what they would enable other than they're better (if that makes sense). 

I suppose for me, it still boils down to a perceived degredation in picture quality from DirecTV to FiOS which can be corrected either through newer hardware or software update.

0 Likes
Sabre70
Enthusiast - Level 3
I also had isssues with the 7216.  The Digital out puts on back that go to my home theatre did not always work so they swapped it with the 6416.  The 7216 definitely has better STD picture compared to 6416,  but I think it will be a while before motorolla get these various software issues resolved and we can swap back to the 7216.  My 6416 has about the same picture quality as my dishnetwork 501 PVR.
0 Likes