New to FIOS, several concerns
Ribeye1
Enthusiast - Level 2

After 15+ years with DirecTV I switched to FIOS.  I'm three months into a two year contract and I have been experiencing several issues that I did not report until now, hoping they would be resolved.  I'm not feeling very confident that FIOS is a good move from DTV.  

1)     Caller ID does not display on TV.  This is a small but annoying issue that hasn't been resolved.  Reading DSL Reports I see this is a nationwide issue.  Should Verizon have communicated the problem to the customers? Yes

2)     Loss of picture and sound on various channels.  I have read that this is a broadcast, not Verizon issue, but I find that hard to believe.  In all my time with DTV there were very few times I lost the sound, the picture, or both.  This is now a weekly occurrence.  I just returned home from vacation to find several TV show premiers either had sound or picture loss for all or some of the show. Frustrating!

3)     Slooooooooooooooooooooooooow or no response from STB when using remote.  Fresh batteries in the remote, clear view from remote to STB (less than 10 feet), and relocating the set top box have not helped.  A slow and deliberate button press on the remote confirmed by the LED lighting up frequently does NOT elicit a response from the STB.  I have to watch the STB display  and LED on the remote to ensure the signal is sent and received.  

4)     Clunky DVR menu interface and recording algorithms.  I don't expect Verizon to fix this anytime soon and I realize I still need to adjust to FIOS, but the loss of functionality compared to DTV is rather exceptional.  

0 Likes
Re: New to FIOS, several concerns
Darko2

Caller ID on tv, you must first activate it in the settings after pressing the menu button. If it has you add Verizon call assistant, you should as it is a free service you allow the feature to work. After 48 hours if it doesn't show up you can go through customer service under menu, In home agent, and run a CID troubleshooter. This should correct it.
If you are losing picture or sound are you using hdmi? Hdmi has a hand shake issue where with any equipment under any provider can stop sound or audio. It's all involving copyright infringement, not to say that's what you're doing. /but/ in a nutshell. You can remove the hdmi, remove the power, replug the power, when the time comes back or the Box keeps a power light then plug the hdmi. If of does not resolve you may have to use component. Or you /can/ ask for a replacement. If you are using coax and this happens you must turn the box off and back on for the sound or picture to return. Both issues are known issues.
Lastly for that box that is sluggish, I'd it isn't a QIP 7xxx series box you want to look into replacement especially after swapping and it not working. If it is a 7xxx series box we can get you an IR extender to clear that right up :)!
I hope this helps.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Not if you have Fios Digital voice, Verizon call assistance IS  NOT used.  I don't think you have to activate at the box for FDV, but it wouldn't hurt to try.  Yes callerid is still somewhat unreliable with either.

Yout problem with picture and sound loss is not notrmal.  Obvious when its a source problem there is nothing Verizon can do.  Were all your cables replaced.  It is best but not required to be at least RG-6 rather the more common older rg-59.  Avoid unecessary splitters and barrels.  Make sure all your connectors are good and tightly connected.  Unused connections at splitters may have to be terminated.

If its HDMI handshake issue you may want to switch to component and audio cables at least to test it out.

0 Likes
Ribeye1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you both for the suggestions.  

I have tried several methods outlined on the forums to get the caller ID working without success.  I can see the test message, but never receive a real notification.

All my connections are tight and the cable is new.  I checked for extra splitters or lines and did not see any.  The picture/sound loss has greatly improved over the last week but I'm still experiencing terrible lag when using the remote.   

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Ribeye wrote:

Thank you both for the suggestions.  

I have tried several methods outlined on the forums to get the caller ID working without success.  I can see the test message, but never receive a real notification.

All my connections are tight and the cable is new.  I checked for extra splitters or lines and did not see any.  The picture/sound loss has greatly improved over the last week but I'm still experiencing terrible lag when using the remote.   

Of you are getting the test message than something is wrong between the Verizon caller ID server that forwards the message to your STB and the switch where you phone number resides.  I would suggest you contact Verizon or go to the Verizon Direct forum on DSL Reports and report it.  I've read about other problems like this and it takes some on the backend to get this sorted out.

The lag problem is reported by many people -- it's not something that's specific to you that you can troubleshoot.  See the other posts.

Ribeye1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the advice.  I'm confused b/c caller ID shows up just fine on my telephone but I cannot get it to work with the STB.  I'll give Verizon another call and see if they can make some magic happen behind the scenes.  

0 Likes