New user question on letterbox
keithh13

Just switched over to Verizon.  I have a "letter box" on my HD channels. I have an HD tv and am using an HDMI cable from the box to the tv.  Shouldn't all the HD channels be full-screen?   I thought my installer said that commericals weren't broadcast in HD, so they had the letterbox , a black bar above and below the image.  Then I thought I saw the HD channel come full screen when the commercial was over.  Is something wrong with the setup, or did I misunderstand?  tia

0 Likes
Re: New user question on letterbox
AtomicRooster
Contributor - Level 1

There are settings on the Set Top Box that may need to be changed. This might help.

Menu > Settings > Video Settings  Then try to change the following parameters: 

Video Format (should be 1080i)

TV Type (should be 16:9)

Graphics settings (Should be HD)

to change these 3 settings you press OK when a feature is highlighted, then move cursor up or down to desired setting, then press OK one last time to set the check mark next to that feature.   Other features on this menu can help the appearance of standard definition broadcasts, you might want to experiment with the SD override setting.

If somethings is in super HD, like a recent movie, the letterbox may show up anyway because the theatrical release was an even wider screen than 16:9 (Thor for example, or tne Conan remake).   I personally have noticed that Blu-Ray movies even will go to letterbox on a new HD TV for this exact reason.  There may be a setting on your tv to "Zoom" or "Wide Zoom" and minimize the letterbox effect, but you will be missing some of the visuals which the director envisioned.

0 Likes
keithh13

Thanks, Atomic. 

I actually had fiddled with those settings before posting here, and have the settings you recommend. 

But it sounds like I *should* be seeing these HD channels full-screen.  Is that correct?

Thanks again.

0 Likes
AtomicRooster
Contributor - Level 1

To clarify, are these traditional network channel programs, Premium, or other?

If you post an exact channel I can verify it right now if you reply is timely (I could look at my tv and report if there is letterbox present)?

keithh13 wrote:

Thanks, Atomic. 

I actually had fiddled with those settings before posting here, and have the settings you recommend. 

But it sounds like I *should* be seeing these HD channels full-screen.  Is that correct?

Thanks again.

0 Likes
keithh13

Cool.

550 USA HD, 551 TNT HD, 552, TNT HD, to name just a few.  These all have regular programming on them.  Others have info-mercials, which I would expect to not be broadcast in HD.

0 Likes
AtomicRooster
Contributor - Level 1

Definintely showing full screen for me here in Baltimore. Although the quality of 551 and 552 leaves much to be desired.

Can you see, on channel 550, the USA HD icon on bottom left during programming? (During actual program, not credits or commercials). 

keithh13 wrote:

Cool.

550 USA HD, 551 TNT HD, 552, TNT HD, to name just a few.  These all have regular programming on them.  Others have info-mercials, which I would expect to not be broadcast in HD.

0 Likes
AtomicRooster
Contributor - Level 1

SOrry bottom right of visible programming image....

0 Likes
keithh13

Yup. 

0 Likes
AtomicRooster
Contributor - Level 1

Something is amiss then, either locally from your Verizon central office, or a setting on your tv itself.

0 Likes
AtomicRooster
Contributor - Level 1

Here are my settings from the set top box:

Menu > Settings > Video Settings:

Video Format: 1080i   16:9

SD Override:  480p

Tv Type:  16:9

Graphics settings:  HD

0 Likes