Newbie. Setting up DVR Series recording the correct way
geepmaley1

I need help on how to set up the recordings on a 7232 DVR with IMG 1.9. I just joined FIOS last week.

Lets use Monday night as an example, I have one show (Eureka on Syfy) that airs twice (7PM CST and 10PM CST) and two others that only play once ("How I Met Your Mother", ABC 7PM and "The Lying Game" on ABCFAM 7PM). I set Eureka to a lower priority than the others, the system records the others as it should be, but if I choose the option for recording as "first run only" for Eureka, its gets skipped altogether.

If I choose "First Run and Repeats", it records EVERY airing of Eureka, even those that have already recorded, INCLUDING those that have been recorded, watched and deleted.

I have set Duplicates to "no" and "yes" and it doesn't seem to matter.

Additionally, I have new channels (HDNet) and am wanting to record old shows as well as new of a series "Drinking Made Easy". Same setup as above and it records every single episode even those already watched and deleted. The deleted shows are in my deleted list

What is the magic formula for the system to record any show only once, but still  record either first run or repeat

My options are:

First Run only, Duplicates No

First Run only, duplicates Yes

First run and repeats, duplicates No (current setup and logic says this should do what I am aiming to do)

First Run and Repeats, Duplicates Yes (logic says will record everything regardless of being recorded already or not)

Was with Dish prior and their logic knew if the show was new or already been recorded (even if it was deleted) and recorded it only if 1) it was new, or 2) it was never recorded previously

0 Likes
Re: Newbie. Setting up DVR Series recording the correct way
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

There are at least 2 additional options:

Record selected channel (yes or no)

Record selected time (yes or no).

Based on your example, I don't see why Eureka shouldn't record at the "scheduled" time from the series manager (as long as the guide has it properly marked as "NEW" - not always the case).  I see no conflict for the 8PM Monday slot (again based on your example).

As for the already watched and deleted, the firmware is not smart enough to consider that list (or at least it doesn't appear to).

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Keyboards wrote:

There are at least 2 additional options:

Record selected channel (yes or no)

Record selected time (yes or no).

Based on your example, I don't see why Eureka shouldn't record at the "scheduled" time from the series manager (as long as the guide has it properly marked as "NEW" - not always the case).  I see no conflict for the 8PM Monday slot (again based on your example).

As for the already watched and deleted, the firmware is not smart enough to consider that list (or at least it doesn't appear to).

I think the OP's example has Eureka scheduled at 7pm along with two other programs ("How I Met Your Mother", ABC 7PM and "The Lying Game" on ABCFAM 7PM) which they marked as higher priority.  Did I misread?

0 Likes
geepmaley1

You didn't misread. There are three programs set to record at the same time. The "new" episode (which is only new once) does not record due to priority. All well and good, but if i choose "First run only" it will never record. If I choose "First run and repeats" it will record every episode over an over again.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@geepmaley wrote:

You didn't misread. There are three programs set to record at the same time. The "new" episode (which is only new once) does not record due to priority. All well and good, but if i choose "First run only" it will never record. If I choose "First run and repeats" it will record every episode over an over again.

I'm thinking it's doing what you're programming it to do.  Since the only "new" program is the third priority, it never records -- we understand that because "first run" is the same -- it's, again the third of three.  Have you tired eliminating the three-show conflict by setting the series to record Eureka on Syfy at 10PM CST?  Fortunately, since its on twice (7PM CST and 10PM CST) this might be your solution.  I've had a similar situation (three shows at once) and to ensure the third is recorded I've set the series to an alternate time.  It's worked for me and it might for you.

0 Likes