Re: No Data Connectivity on STB?
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader
I'm not sure how to check the software version it's running, but here's the System Information page of the STB: http://imgur.com/SVa0NzZ (Not sure if unit address is considered private information, like MAC address)

Looking at your STB info from the screenshot above, I'm wondering why your ZIP code is not registered. FIOS operates in a number of cities and they may need that to know your ZIP code in order to know what guide info to feed you. That should have been entered as a part of the original installation.

If you would please, go back to that screen, press the info button to get the extended info and capture the (three) pages of info there.

Also, just to make sure, your ONT is a Tellabs model 612, right? I think so based on earlier information.

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here's what my STB extended info looks like:

imagePress Menu, Settings, System InformationimageExtended info page 1 of 3imageExtended info page 2 of 3imageExtended info page 3 of 3imageMy ONT (a 612A)

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I will throw this out there, too. My first thought was this might be some sort of MoCA 1.0 vs MoCA 1.1/2.0 mismatch. My STB is a Motorola HD QIP 7100 1 is running with MoCA 1.0 supplied from a Motorola NIM 100. (My installation is old.) I don't (think I) use the MoCA feed from the ONT. I am provisioned for Ethernet from the ONT as well, which is where the NIM 100 gets it's feed.

However, others here seem to have that same STB running directly from the MoCA provided by the Tellabs ONT 612A ONT. Does anyone know if that is MoCA 1.0 or 1.1 or 2.0.  This page leads me to believe it is a 1.0 device. It says, "Successful devices are awarded MoCA certification, which allows a vendor to use the MoCA logo and claim compliance to the MoCA MAC/PHY v1.0 ratified standard." If that's the case, I could probably get rid of that NIM 100. (My old ONT, a 611, didn't have MoCA.) Maybe I am using the MoCA feed from the ONT.

electronicnewb
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is what I get when I hit the info button:

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I noticed that your STB has a new release of the firmware/software than mine, but I would expect that to be a good thing. Your ONT is the same as the one I have now, except I have a wired telephone and Ethernet provisioning.

My theory is you're not getting the MoCA Ethernet service at that box. Maybe someone already suggested this and you tried it, but have you tried temporarily moving the STB next to the ONT and running a (short) cable from the ONT video/MoCA out directly into the STB? (Even bypass the grounding block; do this on a nice day. I noticed your grounding block looks a lot like this one, which is only 1GHz in bandwidth.) You'd also need some sort of HDMI-capable display to connect to the STB. That should include just about any recent-model computer monitor you have, which is lighter than lugging a 50" (or larger) TV around . (Check that it works with the STB before moving the box.)

I sort of expect this not to make a difference, but it's worth checking. What I'm trying to eliminate here is the house's coax as being the issue. Shortest distance between two points and all that.

My ONT was provisioned with MoCA disabled (note the MoCA light at the bottom in my picture). I have an (old) Motorola NIM 100 that converts Ethernet to CoAX to provide MoCA (1.0). The picture of your ONT shows MoCA enabled and green. (It would blink if there's Ethernet traffic going over it.) Yours is the "normal" setup; mine is odd/old.

electronicnewb
Enthusiast - Level 3

If I connect the ONT coax output directly to my STB, wouldn't it be unable to connect to the network? Since my router wouldn't be getting any connectivity.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, you need router for internet.

And you have stated that your internet service works fine correct?

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, for the brief period that your STB is connected, your regular Internet service would be down. I was thinking that the STB would grab your external IP address and start downloading the guide pretty much immediately (if it's going to work at all.) Essentially, it would be a device on the Internet without a firewall in front of it. Not something you'd want to leave on there long, but it should only take five minutes or so.

However, you made me think about it again, and that may or may not have issues. Verizon will only lease an IP address to a device with a different make address when the current lease expires. That could be up to three hours. Still, your STB isn't usually behind a firewall anyway, right? There's a splitter that runs the coax directly into the STB and into the router. Only your PCs are behind that. So, Verizon must give an IP address of sorts to the STB.

So maybe use a splitter to keep your router connected, but do the split as close to the ONT as you can. I'd still vote to bypass that ground block for the test, too. I'm just wondering with a short run and the house wiring not in the picture if you would have better results.

ifnull
Enthusiast - Level 1

Tried everything here without any luck. I was just about to give up when I found a configuration page on my router (Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I). 

SOLUTION:

1. Go to the Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax) Properties page. 
    My Network > Network Connections > Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax) > Settings
  2. Click the buttons for "Release" and "Renew"
  3. Click "Apply"
  4. Power cycle the STB (I didn't but you should just to be safe)
Gpapz
Enthusiast - Level 2

@CRobGauth wrote:

So I went back and looked at your router configs.

I see on one screen it says IP address distribution disabled.

Do you have internet access? Do you have another router doing dhcp?

Or are you using static IPS?

Try turning IP distribution on as stbs need an IP via dhcp to work.

I know this is an old post but I’ve had the same problem. The LAN COAX light on the router keeps turning off for some reason throughout the day and I keep getting logs saying LAN COAX LINK DOWN LAN COAX LINK UP, preventing on demand and guide to work. I do have a Nest router connected handling DHCP as well (causing double NAT), can that be causing the LAN coax light to turn off? 

0 Likes