Re: No Dolby Surround from Motorola set-top box
KennyF2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Jeffro.

The only solution that worked for me was to run an additional digital audio cable out from my Verizon set-top box.

I do not know why the HDMI cable-only solution can no longer send a Dolby Surround signal.  It worked fine for years -- until this recent upgrade from Verizon messed things up.

Very frustrating!

k

0 Likes
regroup
I'm having the same issues. Motorola 7232 FIOS STB, SONY str-da4400es audio receiver and Panasonic HDTV. All HDMI connectivity. Used to work fine but stopped recently. All the other premium sources (bluray, apple TV, Xbox360, MacBook Pro) deliver fantastic multi-channel audio but FIOS has ceased. It's not a big deal to many people, but we've stopped watching because it's a more enjoyable experience to view other sources. With that, we're considering canceling unless there is a resolution imminent. Also, FYI, I tried all the same things mentioned above. None of which have worked. This is clearly a software issue. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE fix! Thanks so much! 🙂
0 Likes
regroupla

Any news on this?  It's beyond annoying...

0 Likes
ToddSimons
Contributor - Level 1

Have you tried to go into the back end menu and turning on PASSTHROUGH for Audio?  (I think instead of  "auto"

Also, remember that everything isn't broadcast in 5.1

0 Likes
regroup

I haven't tried that.  Forgive me, but I'm unsure of what you mean by backend menu.  The Verizon Fios menu setting is on "surround" and yes, I have toggled it back and forth.  Is there another menu that I don't know about?  Because if so, that might be my issue.

Thank you so much for the response! 🙂

0 Likes
regroup

And yes, I'm always sure to check with a 5.1 source, movie channel, etc.  The mix is coming through somewhat correctly, but the multi-channel decoding light is not lit on the receiver as it is with all the other higher quality sources (bluray, xbox360, macbook pro, etc.).

Thanks again! 🙂

0 Likes
regroup

Okay... Google was my friend and I found the backend menu.  Tried pass-through and L-PCM, but neither fixed the issue.  😞

0 Likes
regroup

Okay... after turning off all components and main power conditioner, Pass-through seems to work now in that the display shows DOLBY DIGITAL 3/2.1 instead of just PCM-48Mhz, and there is definitely a radical jump in quality (very pleased) ... but the multi-channel audio decoding light on the receiver (SONY STR DA4400ES) is still not lit.  Strange.

Also, sidenote... after a few channel changes (to stations that aren't 5.1) the audio stops and I have to go though the process again which defeats the purpose.  This whole thing doesn't seem normal.  Is anyone else having these issues?

Thanks again! 🙂

0 Likes
regroup

Because I actually had some time to play with this today, I just ran an optical cable to the receiver and rerouted the HDMI video source to that input, but this is a total workaround.  HDMI SHOULD work.  I had the same thing a few years ago when I had AT&T UVerse... but they did a software update and it rectifed the problem allowing me to remove the workaround.

Verizon, PLEASE... get on this.  Thanks! 🙂

0 Likes
ToddSimons
Contributor - Level 1

For those of you pining to know... here's a thread that talks about the back end service menu:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/QIP-7232-P2-Closed-Captions-are-Blurry-Out... 

0 Likes