Switch Account

No Dolby Surround from Motorola set-top box

No Dolby Surround from Motorola set-top box

Copper Contributor KennyF
Copper Contributor
Message 11 of 27
(2,865 Views)

Hi Jeffro.

The only solution that worked for me was to run an additional digital audio cable out from my Verizon set-top box.

I do not know why the HDMI cable-only solution can no longer send a Dolby Surround signal.  It worked fine for years -- until this recent upgrade from Verizon messed things up.

Very frustrating!

k

Contributor regroup
Contributor
Message 12 of 27
(2,831 Views)
I'm having the same issues. Motorola 7232 FIOS STB, SONY str-da4400es audio receiver and Panasonic HDTV. All HDMI connectivity. Used to work fine but stopped recently. All the other premium sources (bluray, apple TV, Xbox360, MacBook Pro) deliver fantastic multi-channel audio but FIOS has ceased. It's not a big deal to many people, but we've stopped watching because it's a more enjoyable experience to view other sources. With that, we're considering canceling unless there is a resolution imminent. Also, FYI, I tried all the same things mentioned above. None of which have worked. This is clearly a software issue. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE fix! Thanks so much! Smiley Happy
Contributor regroupla
Contributor
Message 13 of 27
(2,794 Views)

Any news on this?  It's beyond annoying...

Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I
Message 14 of 27
(2,786 Views)

Have you tried to go into the back end menu and turning on PASSTHROUGH for Audio?  (I think instead of  "auto"

Also, remember that everything isn't broadcast in 5.1

Contributor regroup
Contributor
Message 15 of 27
(2,757 Views)

I haven't tried that.  Forgive me, but I'm unsure of what you mean by backend menu.  The Verizon Fios menu setting is on "surround" and yes, I have toggled it back and forth.  Is there another menu that I don't know about?  Because if so, that might be my issue.

Thank you so much for the response! Smiley Happy

Contributor regroup
Contributor
Message 16 of 27
(2,757 Views)

And yes, I'm always sure to check with a 5.1 source, movie channel, etc.  The mix is coming through somewhat correctly, but the multi-channel decoding light is not lit on the receiver as it is with all the other higher quality sources (bluray, xbox360, macbook pro, etc.).

Thanks again! Smiley Happy

Contributor regroup
Contributor
Message 17 of 27
(2,756 Views)

Okay... Google was my friend and I found the backend menu.  Tried pass-through and L-PCM, but neither fixed the issue.  Smiley Sad

Contributor regroup
Contributor
Message 18 of 27
(2,754 Views)

Okay... after turning off all components and main power conditioner, Pass-through seems to work now in that the display shows DOLBY DIGITAL 3/2.1 instead of just PCM-48Mhz, and there is definitely a radical jump in quality (very pleased) ... but the multi-channel audio decoding light on the receiver (SONY STR DA4400ES) is still not lit.  Strange.

Also, sidenote... after a few channel changes (to stations that aren't 5.1) the audio stops and I have to go though the process again which defeats the purpose.  This whole thing doesn't seem normal.  Is anyone else having these issues?

Thanks again! Smiley Happy

Contributor regroup
Contributor
Message 19 of 27
(2,753 Views)

Because I actually had some time to play with this today, I just ran an optical cable to the receiver and rerouted the HDMI video source to that input, but this is a total workaround.  HDMI SHOULD work.  I had the same thing a few years ago when I had AT&T UVerse... but they did a software update and it rectifed the problem allowing me to remove the workaround.

Verizon, PLEASE... get on this.  Thanks! Smiley Happy

Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I
Message 20 of 27
(2,740 Views)

For those of you pining to know... here's a thread that talks about the back end service menu:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/QIP-7232-P2-Closed-Captions-are-Blurry-Out... 

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.