Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

No HDMI input for HD-TV; component video doesn't give picture

SOLVED
bjmarg
Contributor
Contributor

No HDMI input for HD-TV; component video doesn't give picture

Message 1 of 4
(6,133 Views)

I just swapped an HD DVR STB, which was connected via component video, for an HD STB.  There is no HDMI input on my HD ready TV, so I connected the STB to the TV via the same cables as the tech did when he came out (i.e., I used the component video and component audio connections).  I get sound, but no video.  

I tried the other connections: S-video gives me a black and white picture,

and the standard coax cable gives me regular video + audio.

I would prefer to use the component video, though.  Is this a widespread problem?  Is there a solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
spacedebris
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V

Re: No HDMI input for HD-TV; component video doesn't give picture

Message 4 of 4
(6,114 Views)
I'd connect it using the component cables, and then contact tech support and see if they can do a factory reset on the STB. If that fails, they will likely replace it.

====================================================================================

Error exists between keyboard and chair.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Keyboards
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 2 of 4
(6,119 Views)

Sounds like a bad STB.  S-Video should give you 480i in normal color and 4:3 aspect ratio - not B&W.  Also the component (RED/GREEN/BLUE RCA jacks) should give full HD resolution output just like your DVR. 

Other possibility is that the STB is set to a resolution your TV can't handle so no picture on the component hookup (doesn't explain the S-Video anomally since it is only capable of outputing at 480i).

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
bjmarg
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 4
(6,114 Views)
Should I try a reset first?  And if that doesn't work, then request a replacement STB?
spacedebris
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V

Message 4 of 4
(6,115 Views)
I'd connect it using the component cables, and then contact tech support and see if they can do a factory reset on the STB. If that fails, they will likely replace it.

====================================================================================

Error exists between keyboard and chair.

View solution in original post

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title