No Interactive Programming Guide--Even AFTER STB Reset: HELP!
vanderwc

I have been living without my interactive programming guide for more than a week now. I never know what is on TV!

I have tried resetting the router by unplugging it from the electrical outlet, removing all the cords for 15 seconds at a time and pushing the reset button with a paperclip.

I have tried resetting the STB a handful of times as well. First, I disconnected all wires and cords for about 45 seconds. Since then I have continued to disconnect the power cord for various lengths of time--still nothing.

I have even tried the online troubleshooting tool to reset it from the internet--nothing.

Has anyone else has this problem?

Christina

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No Interactive Programming Guide--Even AFTER STB Reset: HELP!
Justin46
Legend

Christina,

Yes I have experienced this. And I have never figured out why, but I think I do know the "what."

This problem is usually caused by the router and the STB failing to communicate. So first lets verify that that really is the problem. On the STB remote do the following:

Menu ==>  Settings ==> System Information

Is there any thing other than 0.0.0.0 shown in the IP Address field? If not then the STB is not communicating with the router. You can also see there how many days of guide data the STB has; it is probably zero now, usually it is somewhere in the 8 to 9 days range.

Assuming that there is no IP address, then we need to try to figure out why and hopefully fix it. By the way, in the steps below I am assuming you have the most common Verizon router, the ActionTec. If you have the Westel, I have never seen one so I don't know exactly what you might see, but I hope it would be similar.

1) The coax connection to your STB is obviously ok or you would not be getting a picture. But the Guide data, widgets, VOD all come through the router first before they go to the STB on the coax, unlike the regular TV channels which go directly from the ONT through the splitter to the STB via coax. So, check the coax connection to your router, at both the router itself and the wall connection. They need to be good and tight.

2) Unplug the power from the STB, wait 15-20 seconds, plug it back in, wait until it is up, then check the IP address again. Is there one? If so, just wait for a while, the Guide will gradually repopulate, and all should be ok.

3) If no, unplug the power from the router, wait 15-20 seconds, plug it back in, wait a little while and check the IP address in the STB again. OK?

4) If no, the next step is to log into the router and check what it sees on your network. The login is usually "admin" and "password1" (the password must be changed the first time you log in, most installers set it to "password1), but since you have reset the router it is probably now back to "admin" and "password". Once you log in (and change the password), in the middle of the page should be a listing of all devices on your network, your PC(s) and STB(s). Do you see any STBs? If yes, just wait a while and all should be ok.

5) If no, try unplugging the power from the STB again, then plugging it back in. I have experienced the loss of connectivity to one or more of my STBs maybe 3 or 4 times in almost 4 years with the FiOS TV service, have never been able to figure out the exact procedure to get the connectivity back, but removing the power and putting it back several times, in different sequences on the router and the STB, eventually has gotten it working.

If the above steps don't work I think you have either a broken router or a broken STB and will need to call the FSC to get a tech dispatched.

I hope the above helps. If I have screwed up the procedure a little bit in the description I am sorry, or if you don't understand something I have written, post back and I or someone else will be happy to try again.

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

Justin46
Legend

Christina,

Yes I have experienced this. And I have never figured out why, but I think I do know the "what."

This problem is usually caused by the router and the STB failing to communicate. So first lets verify that that really is the problem. On the STB remote do the following:

Menu ==>  Settings ==> System Information

Is there any thing other than 0.0.0.0 shown in the IP Address field? If not then the STB is not communicating with the router. You can also see there how many days of guide data the STB has; it is probably zero now, usually it is somewhere in the 8 to 9 days range.

Assuming that there is no IP address, then we need to try to figure out why and hopefully fix it. By the way, in the steps below I am assuming you have the most common Verizon router, the ActionTec. If you have the Westel, I have never seen one so I don't know exactly what you might see, but I hope it would be similar.

1) The coax connection to your STB is obviously ok or you would not be getting a picture. But the Guide data, widgets, VOD all come through the router first before they go to the STB on the coax, unlike the regular TV channels which go directly from the ONT through the splitter to the STB via coax. So, check the coax connection to your router, at both the router itself and the wall connection. They need to be good and tight.

2) Unplug the power from the STB, wait 15-20 seconds, plug it back in, wait until it is up, then check the IP address again. Is there one? If so, just wait for a while, the Guide will gradually repopulate, and all should be ok.

3) If no, unplug the power from the router, wait 15-20 seconds, plug it back in, wait a little while and check the IP address in the STB again. OK?

4) If no, the next step is to log into the router and check what it sees on your network. The login is usually "admin" and "password1" (the password must be changed the first time you log in, most installers set it to "password1), but since you have reset the router it is probably now back to "admin" and "password". Once you log in (and change the password), in the middle of the page should be a listing of all devices on your network, your PC(s) and STB(s). Do you see any STBs? If yes, just wait a while and all should be ok.

5) If no, try unplugging the power from the STB again, then plugging it back in. I have experienced the loss of connectivity to one or more of my STBs maybe 3 or 4 times in almost 4 years with the FiOS TV service, have never been able to figure out the exact procedure to get the connectivity back, but removing the power and putting it back several times, in different sequences on the router and the STB, eventually has gotten it working.

If the above steps don't work I think you have either a broken router or a broken STB and will need to call the FSC to get a tech dispatched.

I hope the above helps. If I have screwed up the procedure a little bit in the description I am sorry, or if you don't understand something I have written, post back and I or someone else will be happy to try again.

Keller, TX 76248

td4wg
a week? mine hasn't been working for a year now. i've tried all the steps here and they just don't work for my issue.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@td4wg wrote:
a week? mine hasn't been working for a year now. i've tried all the steps here and they just don't work for my issue.

What is your "issue"? What were the results of the steps? What else have you tried? Have you called tech support? Nobody here can help if you don't provide info on what you have tried, what the results were, etc.

Assuming you are using Verizon STBs (other than the DCT-700) and one of the Verizon routers and a "normal" connection setup, you most certainly should be able to get the Guide. And if you are using multiple routers or whatever, you can probaly still get the Guide, it just depends on your setting it up correctly.

So tell us what you have and what you have done. I am sure someone here will be able to help you, maybe even me  Smiley Happy

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
td4wg
tech support said to unplug the fios router and the STBs to reset them all. and the TV menus would work. that did not help. i don't see the menus for the 3 boxes i have. when i look at the network on the router config, i see only computers, anything coax does not show. previously when the menus did show up, the STBs were showing up under the network config of the router. how do i get the router to see the STBs again?
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

OK, that is progress. We now know for sure that at least part of the problem is that the router and the STBs are not talking. There could be other issues but I think we need to solve this problem first.  

A few questions:

1) Has this configuration ever worked? You said it hasn't worked for a year, but did it work before that and stop? Any changes in the hardware (replacement, network topography change, etc)?

2) Does VOD work? I am pretty certain that it doesn't because it also depends on communicating with the router , but lets make sure.

3) Is the router a Verizon-supplied router? If so, which one, Actiontec or Westel? 

4) Have you made any configuration changes on the router? If so, what? (wondering about things on the LAN like disabling DHCP, etc).

Now, powering off the router does not "reset" it, it just causes it to reboot. To truely reset the router you need to press the reset button on the back of the router (Actiontec, I don't know where the button is on the Westel). So unless you have configuration options in the router that you refuse to re-do, I suggest you really reset the router with the button and see if that fixes things.

As I said in my previous post, when my router lost connectivity with STBs, I had to power up and down several times before they magically connected. When 2 of my 3 weren't commnicating with the router, powering down/up an STB did not fix the problem, I had to power down/up the router and then I think the STB again. That got that one connected, but I had to do something similar to get the other one connected. This was months ago, since then I have not had any connectivity problems.

And unlike me, I suggest you write down the steps you take so when (not if!) if you eventually get it all working you will know what to do if it fails again Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248 

0 Likes