No Live TV Audio nor Video, DVR content from different STB, On Demand, and Menus work fine.
jarockster

I have a multi-room DVR and a plane Jane set top box. I just ran a new coax line (about 300 ft) out to my cabana using my existing splitter that i have removed one of the existing runs from. I moved my plane Jane STB from the house to the cabana and keep getting The Channel Unavailable Message. VZ attempted to reset the box however that has not helped. When I move the box back into the house live TV works fine. So it certainly seems like a cable issue, however how is it that I can watch DVR content crystal clear on the plane Jane STB (the content is stored on the DVR in the house) as well as on Demand but not live TV. The DVR content and On Demand are running through the new cable just fine but no live TV ????? VZ says cable maybe damaged, in particular the  frequency range that live TV is offered through. Is this possible. A workaround I can start to DVR a show in the house and then immediately start viewing it on the STB with no live TV, kind of a pain but better than nothing. Any ideas ???

0 Likes
Re: No Live TV Audio nor Video, DVR content from different STB, On Demand, and Menus work fine.
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What type of cable did you use?

Could be that loss between outside and DVR is ok, but the loss to the ONT is too high.

300ft is a pretty long run.

Should have used RG6 at a minimum.

0 Likes
Re: No Live TV Audio nor Video, DVR content from different STB, On Demand, and Menus work fine.
jarockster
This is the exact cable.

http://cables4sure.com/300ft-rj6-quad-shield-coax-cable-white.html

I'm going to hook up an amplifier and seeing that helps. Any suggestions on the amplifier itself, brand, model etc
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

The DVR sends the recordings to the other STBs using MOCA. The live TV signal is using RF, so the problem is that the RF signal is either missing or below -6db. A 300ft coax run is very long. You are losing a least 6db plus the loss from the splitter. You might need a MOCA certified amplifier to boost the signal on that leg.

0 Likes
jarockster

I tried a viewsonic passive AMP and was able to get most live channels (no Fox and ABC, ESPN, i'm sure some others too). As mention the AMP needs to be capable of MoCA bypass. So I lost all of the programming info, guide, DVR, VOD , etc...  Just ordered a PDI MoCa bypass amp and will see how things turn out.

0 Likes
jarockster

Getting better however not all the way there. I purchased and installed a PDI Moca Bypass Amplifier (PDI:MBA-101-A). Now I have my menus back, VOD, DVR etc.... and MOST live TV channels, NOT all. The ones of interest to me that are atill not coming through are FOX, ABC, ESPN =( I will try to fiddle around with where I place the amp (although not many options due to the run being mostly underground). I am also awaiting arrival of coax terminating caps to reduce signal loss due to unterminated runs from my splitter. Any other suggestions? Would placing another amp closer to the receiving be of any help?

0 Likes