No sound on HD Channels
slash7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Turn on HD Box viewing a non-HD channel (not all channels come in HD) - works fine

Switch to an HD channel, we get no sound. Turn box off, then on, we have sound on HD channels

Tried re-setting box.

0 Likes
Re: No sound on HD Channels
ssallot
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same problem with my new TV. No worries Verizon won't help fix the problem. We'll h=just have to watch TV with no sound and pay extra money for it.

0 Likes
ravioli
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is a common problem with HDMI and signaling issues between various vendors of STB's and TV's.   Some play well together and some don't.

One option to try is to force the HDMI audio encoding to a specific type.   On my QIP6200-2, you can access this setting by starting with the STB turn on, then on the front panel in quick succession press "Power", "Select" then "Menu".   After a few seconds a configuration screen should appear -- using the remote move down the Additional HDMI settings and hit the right arrow.  Then move down to the "Audio Output" and try changing between "Auto",  L-PCM, and Passthru.

If that doesn't yield a combination that works for you, one option some find acceptable is to not use the HDMI for audio (commonly what would be done if you were using DVI instead) and instead get the audio from the SPDIF digital output if your TV supports it.  In fact, if you want, from the same menu above, you can remove the audio signal from the HDMI ouptut by switching the unit into DVI mode (DVI basically being HDMI without the audio channels on the same cable).

ssallot
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow! That's funny that I read a post and it fixes something their dumb tech support can't even help me with. Thanks for letting us know how to fix that problem with the audio. I changed it to L-PCM and it seems to do the trick. I flipped through a bunch of channels I haven't experienced the problem yet.

0 Likes
gomets111

How fast do you have to press them? I got to the screen once, but now I can't get back.

0 Likes
gomets111

Nevermind...i was pressing the buttons too fast

0 Likes
ravioli
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sounds like you solved your own problem ... just need to do each button independently within a reasonable period of time (for example  -- as if you were speaking words at normal conversational speed -- power, select, menu).

0 Likes
NYC-Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have this loss of sound issue on my 7216 DVR and also my 7100 HD box. The DVR is connected by an optical audio cable to my AVR and the HD box is connected by an HDMI cable to my Samsung LCD set. This loss of sound normally occurs in the higher numbered HD premium stations when I am changing channels.

To simply blame HDMI is not an answer as HDMI is not involved on the issue on my DVR. It would be nice to see FIOS acknowledge that they have an audio problem and fix it. It should be noted that I was connected to similar Motorola boxes when I was an RCN customer and never experienced this problem.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually it's audio encoding in general ... the problem is actually not "FiOS", but the inability of a Home Theater or TV to decode the particular audio encoding being used by the channel (or getting confused as the format switches from one format to the other)..   Many people have no issue all.   The issue most find is that FiOS is passing the signal from the source unaltered thru their system where many cable and other systems will compress or otherwise alter the signal (same thing is behind the volume issue on commercials).

Follow the instructions that I posted under the userid "ravioli" earlier in this thread and instruct the STB to alter the encoding for you and force it to always be the same L-PCM format and I suspect you'll find this goes away.

0 Likes
NYC-Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Everyone is complaining about HDMI being the culprit. Perhaps you can explain why I am experiencing this issue using an optical audio cable from the DVR to the AVR?

0 Likes