No sound when recording to my VCR when the TV is off
nbeatty58
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have Cisco CHS 335HDC STBs.  When I record to my VCR I have audio when the HDTV is on, but when the TV is off I only can get video.  This has happened before and somehow I was able to fix it, but I don't remember what I did.  I also have a SDTV with the same STB and have had no audio problems with it.  I am using an RF cable to connect the STB and the VCR.  I have also tried switching out the VCR and the STB with the same results.  When I call Verizon they say they do not support VCRs, but think they may have been the ones that helped my the last time.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No sound when recording to my VCR when the TV is off
nbeatty58
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have no surround sound.  I do have the HDMI cable going from the STB to the HDTV. 

I switched out all of the coax cables and tried it on my SDTV.  It worked fine on that TV.

I then tried it again on my HDTV and I still could not get any audio when the TV was turned off.

I removed my HDMI cable and I can now get the audio. 

I guess that must be the problem, but I know that the audio was working with the HDMI cable before.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ian_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

We're sorry to hear about your troubles using your VCR.  Although we cannot trouble shoot the VCR, I am curious about your trouble shooting steps you've already taken.  You mentioned that you had switched out the VCR and STB.  Does that mean that you used different equipment?  Here is what I recommend:

1.  Take the VCR to the other STB/TV that you have and see if it will work there.

2.  If possible, exchange the STB's that you have connected to the HDTV, just to see if there is some out of the ordinary condition related to the TV.  Normally the TV will not be a factor with the type of connectivity you've explained, but best to isolate all that you can.

3.  Swap out the coax that you have connected between the HD STB and VCR.

Also, it would be helpful to know your entertainment architecture.  Do you have a surround sound system connected?  Are you connecting the HDTV via HDMI to the HD STB?  All of these are a factor in drilling down to the cause of this issue.

~Ian

0 Likes
nbeatty58
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have no surround sound.  I do have the HDMI cable going from the STB to the HDTV. 

I switched out all of the coax cables and tried it on my SDTV.  It worked fine on that TV.

I then tried it again on my HDTV and I still could not get any audio when the TV was turned off.

I removed my HDMI cable and I can now get the audio. 

I guess that must be the problem, but I know that the audio was working with the HDMI cable before.

0 Likes
oldfashionedgal

I also have that same problem.  I can tape fine in the bedroom with the digital converter box turned on and the tv turned off.

In the livingroom I have to leave the tv on as well as the stb to get sound on the tape.

I am a new subscriber and the installation was only a little over a month ago.

I asked the installer if I would be able to use the vcr and of course he said yes.

He also said I could watch one show and tape another, I kind of knew that wouldn't happen.

He also said the hdmi cable was the best.  Is it the type of cable that is the problem?

I've looked at the various setup diagrams on the Vz in-home agent, but they don't show a vcr in any of them.

The installer said he used an hdmi cable and then also the component cables from my vcr.

Any suggestions on how tis should be set up?

I'm not ready for a dvr yet and I'd like to fix this problem.

0 Likes