No support for Clear QAM
NJ_advanced

I am upset that there is no support for Clear QAM.

WHY???? Must I have a set top box (I'm curious... does anyone out there have a set that you can place a box on top of???) Just to get non-encrypted service from FiOS.

Verizon did.... SOMETHING a couple of weeks ago, and I lost almost all channels on my Vizio TVs; The SiliconDust HDHomeRun tuner I use with my PC works fine... the no-name tv in the basement works fine after recanning (channels moved). But my Vizio TVs were not as forgiving. After working fine for a year, they no longer recieve certain channels...  get on chat with customer service, and it's a joke. "It won't work without a set top box".

I don't want a set top box; I don't want encrypted channels, I don't want pay per view, I just want to watch the standard,  over the air channels on my TV using the remote that it came with.

I wish our FCC would mandate that the 'cable'' providers adhere to a standard!

0 Likes
Re: No support for Clear QAM
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you have a TV that has a QAM tuner in it, then it should work.   Here is an FAQ that details it. 

If you were getting non encrypted channels without a set top box before, then you should also again, unless there is something funny going on with the cabling.    

Yes, if your TV set has a QAM tuner and you subscribe to some kind of TV service. The TV signal is not enabled if you have only Internet or Phone service.

Verizon transmits some channels in the clear. Usually these are the local channels, local HD channels, Univision and WGN. Otherwise, the channels are delivered encrypted and need a set top device of some sort to decode them. See this FAQ for more details. »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Does FiOS-TV require a set-top device?

Do not confuse a set top box with a Digital TV Converter, which is a device that enables older televisions to show the newer over-the-air digital broadcasts. FiOS-TV signals are not compatible with those devices.

0 Likes