Not all HD channels show up
micha1999

I have certain channels on my TV that do not work. It comes up with "Channel Unavailable". Its not that I do not have the subscription, since that message looks different. Example: Comedy Central (#690). I have the 2009 HD extreme package, so that one should be included.

Firstly I would like to know if there is any type of customer service for technical issue. I tried everything:

- The on-screen instruction did not make it work.

- The reboot procedure of the IVR system did not make it work.

- Trying to talk to an "agent" resulted in me being disconnected three times.

- The online-chat on the web page does not work (it lets you know after filling in all the information)

- When trying to send an e-mail through the web site, it kicks you back to the main menu, after you specify that you need support for the TV

So, this forum is my last option.

I have had FIOS for close to three years now, and always had the HD DVR box. Only recently I purchased an HD television set, and now it turns out that some of the HD channels do not work.

What could be the issue, and how can it be resolved?

thanks in advance,

-Micha

0 Likes
Re: Not all HD channels show up
mikeallison128

I had the same problem.  Turns out that not all of the HD channels are available on the HD Extreme package.  You need to upgrade to the HD Prime package to get them all.

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1

Prime HD is not an upgrade, it's a downgrade. The OP said he's getting a different message than the one that says you are not subscribed. He may have to call tech support.

0 Likes
VZ_Ron
Contributor - Level 2

Hey do us a favor check the coax cable from the wall to STB make sure its on tightly then unplug the power cord for the STB for 10secs then plug in back that should fix it and ch#690 is part of your package.

0 Likes
micha1999

Hi thank you for your replies. I checked and the coax connection was good.

I moved the TV to an outlet that is closer (in cable distance) to the FIOS ONT. Everything worked perfect there.

Signal degradation???

So I moved the TV back to the other location, and unplugged every other STB in the house. I still have the same problem. What is the maximum cable length? Or can/should I use an active splitter?

0 Likes
VZ_Ron
Contributor - Level 2

When you move the TV to the other location did you have to add to the coax cable to connect everything if you do then that's might be the issue.

0 Likes
phinney5350
Contributor - Level 1

More likely to be a hidden splitter or one that does not cover the bandwidth!

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@micha1999 wrote:

Hi thank you for your replies. I checked and the coax connection was good.

I moved the TV to an outlet that is closer (in cable distance) to the FIOS ONT. Everything worked perfect there.

Signal degradation???

So I moved the TV back to the other location, and unplugged every other STB in the house. I still have the same problem. What is the maximum cable length? Or can/should I use an active splitter?

shouldnt be a distance issue. The Fios system should be able to handle up to 10 STBs in a standard household. More than likely, you have either a problem with the specific cable running to that room (crimp on the cable, bad connector, incorrect rating on the cable, ect.) or there is a splitter or other connector in the line that is not passing all the frequencies. If you can replace that cable on your own, I would probably just do that. (use RG6 cable). If you cant do that on your own, then you will likely need to call Verizon and have them come out and check/replace/repair the cable.

0 Likes
micha1999

I got it all working, there were a number of problems, basically all of the above  mentioned.

There were altogether four splitters between the ONT and the TV, three with 7db loss, one with 3.5db loss. I replaced the 7db losing splitters with two unbalanced splitters and a two way splitter, so the entire chain was 4 x 3.5db. 

After doing this I could receive all channels, however my on-demand still did not work.

Turns out the 3.5db splitter that I didn't replace was ancient, and likely didn't cover the modern frequency range. Replacing it solved the problem, in fact at the end I was able to eliminate it completely by running a second cable through a wall. Now the loss to the TV is only 3 x 3.5db, to the internet is 3.5db, and the other TVs is whatever it was before but with better splitters.

btw. While I was trying different things, I also used an amplifier at one point. Nothing worked when I had it in line. I got no picture on any TV. Is that something that does not work with FIOS, or did I just get a bad one? I bought it from Home Depot (don't remember the name, I already returned it).

Anyway, thank you everybody for helping me getting this all figured out. 

-Micha

0 Likes
phinney5350
Contributor - Level 1

Always keep it simple! Kinda thought you would find splitters causing trouble.You should not need any amp. If you do, it must be a 2 way amp so a signal goes to & from the TV set.  Congrat on a job well done. 🙂

0 Likes