Not receiving QAM local channel TV package
jazzbone
Enthusiast - Level 2

I subscribe to Verizon FIOS internet and local TV package.

I use an HTPC with HDHomeRun to watch TV.

A couple of days ago, I lost all TV channels.

I thought the problem was the HDHomeRun and tried various troubleshooting techniques. When I plugged rabbit ears in, I received my local channels fine.

I decided to bypass the HDHomeRun. I plugged the coax directly into my Panasonic TCP42S1 TV, which has a QAM tuner, and ran a channel scan.

The TV could not find any channels. (I tried scanning both antenna and cable channels and digital and analog channels)

I called Verizon twice.

First representative said that you can't receive any channels without a Set Top Box. He said there was a new law requiring them. If so, why wasn't I notified? How can they charge me for TV without actually providing it?

Second representative said that I just needed to call the TV manufacturer and they would fix it in a few minutes. What fix was she referring to? She refused to tell me.

Neither representative did any troubleshooting AFAIK.

How can I get some help? I am paying Verizon for TV. Seems like i deserve some customer service.

Frustrated...

0 Likes
Re: Not receiving QAM local channel TV package
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The channels are available without a STB, at least in NY AND FL.  You need to scan digital cable channels.  New rules, not Laws, do allow them to not offer them, but as far as anyone has mentioned Verizon has not chosen to do so.  You do have to be subscribed.  They should be in clear QAM.  At worst you should find them as scrambled, but you should find them.

What area of the country (OR VHO) are you in?

0 Likes
jazzbone
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in MD.

I scanned digital channels, but it is showing zero channels both with the HDHomeRun and the TV.

How do I get Verizon to fix this issue if they don't even acknowledge a problem?

I appreciate any advice!

0 Likes
jazzbone
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called Verizon again.

Rep was very helpful.

Said that due to system upgrades, I would be unable to receive local channels without a digital adaptor.

He said that he is sending me a digital adaptor at no charge.

I will let you know if that resolves it.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I live in Md. I can get the local channels on my TV just fine.

Problem with digital adapter is that the channels will only be in SD.Try Tweeting @verizonsupport to see if they can help.

I am guessing they somehow disabled your TV service at the ONT.

0 Likes
jazzbone
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info CRobGauth.

I live in Howard County. It would be nice to know if anyone else in Howard County can receive the channels.

I can't believe rep didn't mention that adaptor would only do SD! That is a showstopper for me!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Will be interesting to see what happens when you get the adapters.

If they work, then it will be a head scratcher

My guess is that they won't work either.

I would try contacting support on Twitter @verizonsupport.

They have been helpful to me in the past.

They can check to see that TV service is enabled and maybe even test/reset your ONT.

0 Likes
jazzbone
Enthusiast - Level 2

I received the digital adapter today.

Still no channels.

Called tech support and she said that they would have to send someone out.

So, that is what I agreed to.

Sorry, I didn't contact @verizonsupport because I don't use Twitter.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

More than A head scratcher.  The STB do qam.  At worst, if they started encrypting the locals, the OP should find the channels but not be able to view them because they are scrambled.  Its possible that they are refusing to turn them on unless you have some STB, but once turned on your TV's and HDHomeRun should be able to see any unscrambled channel.  Some models of HDHomeRun support Scrambled channels with a cablecard added (unfortunately now a monthly rental that has gone up in price).

0 Likes
jazzbone
Enthusiast - Level 2

Service Tech came to house today.

ONT was bad.

He replaced it and all is fixed now.

Thanks for the help!

0 Likes