Switch Account

Number of Splits

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Number of Splits

Message 1 of 5
(4,465 Views)
I currently have Fios split on a 6 way splitter (5 tv's and 1 to the router).......does anyone know if you can split it more than 6 times?  If so where can you obtain a splitter bigger than a 6 way?
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Re: Number of Splits

Message 2 of 5
(4,462 Views)
I am sure that you can daisy chain splitters together, but the signal degrades with every splitter. I would assume that as long as you have free IPs in the DHCP pool & You have the correct signal strength you should be fine. But that's just a guess.
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 5
(4,456 Views)
Thanks...I have tried to split it further and the signal is good but the signal pulses every so often and cuts the picture for about 2 seconds.  Can I stop that from happening? 
Highlighted
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Message 4 of 5
(4,447 Views)

You may have degraded the signal to much if you look at the splitter you will see something that has something like 6db (or ohm its been a while I don't remember). That is the amount of loss your line has, the lower the number the better. You can try to find a splitter with a lower number. Say your line comes in at a 6 loss (outside splitter), then its split inside at another 6 loss, and you split it again inside with another 6 loss, that at a rate of 18. That is a high signal loss, and for anything that is HD, it just maybe to much. This is all speculation. This is how it was when I ran cable modems a good 7 years ago, but I sure the same apply for fios. There are line amps you can get 

Check out this post here. It is info on boosting your signal.

Highlighted
Employee Emeritus Employee Emeritus
Employee Emeritus

Message 5 of 5
(4,382 Views)
I haven't seen anything bigger than a 6-way splitter at any store locally.  I'm sure if you do a Google search, you might be able to find something..Although not really recommended because more splits can degrade the signal then you'll get pixelation.
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.