Occasional glitch, hesitation, or jitter while watching Hi Def
michelliot
Enthusiast - Level 2

HNY People,

I recently joined Fios and purchased a 32" XBR6. Stunning picture in Hi Def, very soft standard def picture (6416), but that seems to be a known issue with fios these days.

My issue is that when viewing hi def channels, there is a spit second pause, hesitation or jitter about every 30 seconds or so. It's only visible sometimes while watching a show, because most of the time there is motion on the screen already. It's when watching the credits of a movie that it really becomes apparent due to the steady vertical panning of the names etc. I've changed the wires, both HDMIs and components, and plugged the TV directly into the wall to no avail.

Some interesting points though. The hesitations occur when watching live shows. While watching a recorded show and playing it over and over again, the pauses do not occur at the same moment on the recording every time I view it. So it's not the signal into the dvr or the playing of the recorded material. This led me to believe it might be the monitor. HOWEVER,

If I set the DVR to output at 920 or 480 instead of 1080, I don't see any of these pauses. Also, if I play a Hi Def DVD at 1080 (directly to the TV), I don't see them as well.

The only other times when I see them is when the banner on the bottom showing the station and name of the program disappears.  Tonight, I'll try and plug the cable from the wall directy into the TV and, if the inputs work on the back of the DVR, I'll route the DVD player through the DVR and see if there's any occurances.

If any of you are still with me, I realize this is a toughy. It's more of an annoyance than a major issue, but I'm fanatical about these things and it does bother me. Ever heard of this issue or if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

Many thanks and have a healthy new year,

elliot

0 Likes
Re: Occasional glitch, hesitation, or jitter while watching Hi Def
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@michelliot wrote:

... Tonight, I'll try and plug the cable from the wall directy into the TV and, if the inputs work on the back of the DVR, I'll route the DVD player through the DVR and see if there's any occurances.

elliot

I don't know what to suggest about your actual complaint, but wanted to save you the time of trying to route the DVD through the DVR.  None of the inputs (front or rear,USB, etc.) are functional.

0 Likes
Re: Occasional glitch, hesitation, or jitter while watching Hi Def
speedo123
Contributor - Level 1

michelliot wrote:

HNY People,

My issue is that when viewing hi def channels, there is a spit second pause, hesitation or jitter about every 30 seconds or so. It's only visible sometimes while watching a show, because most of the time there is motion on the screen already. It's when watching the credits of a movie that it really becomes apparent due to the steady vertical panning of the names etc. I've changed the wires, both HDMIs and components, and plugged the TV directly into the wall to no avail.

Some interesting points though. The hesitations occur when watching live shows. While watching a recorded show and playing it over and over again, the pauses do not occur at the same moment on the recording every time I view it. So it's not the signal into the dvr or the playing of the recorded material. This led me to believe it might be the monitor.

elliot

I frequently experience this hesitation or jitter on my 6416 HD DVR.  However I don't yet have HD receivers so am watching in SD.  I do not recall seeing this happen on my SD DVR (2708).  What with all of the other limitations, problems and annoyances of the FIOS Operating System, I hadn't even reported this one.  I'll check more closely to see if this occurs on the SD DVR, but it seems like it might be a problem related to HD DVRs rather than to HD programs or cabling.

0 Likes