Occasional loss of picture (not sound) when switching from SD to HD on SONY Bravia
Geordie

When changing from a SD to HD or HD to SD channel I loose picture (but not sound) some times on my SONY KDL-40S2010. It looks like a timing problem since it does not happen all the time. This can be corrected by switching off TV and switching it back on again and picture will come back. Anyone else seeing this. Video format is 1080i 16:9 and system includes DVR.

Who do you contact at Verizon for this kind of problem? I am a long time user of FIOS.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Occasional loss of picture (not sound) when switching from SD to HD on SONY Bravia
Justin46
Legend

As Keyboards said, there are known handshaking issues between a Verizon STB and some TVs when using an HDMI connection. so if you are using HDMI then using component connections instead probably will fix the problem.

What do you have the 4:3 Override parameter set to in the STB? If it is anything other than OFF you might want to try changing it to OFF (OFF was not the default when I got FiOS TV three years ago, it might have changed since then). I changed it within the first few weeks after getting FiOS TV so I don't really know if it could have any effect like what you are seeing, but for me, with my Sony LCD, it generated an annoying delay of several seconds when switching between SD and HD channels, in either direction, and I could see the handshake on the STB display every time. So if there is any kind of bug in the handshake between the STB and your TV I think having it set to other than OFF would make it show up for sure pretty frequently. OFF eliminates that constant handshake, and makes the channel changes much faster (with the potential of slightly degraded PQ in SD).

As to who to contact, the Verizon FSC at 1-888-553-1555. But you might have better luck by going to www.dslreports.com, creating an account (free), then posting in their Verizon Direct forum (must be registered to post). They have Verizon technical people who monitor/answer in that forum, and it is private, only you and the Verizon person can see the contents of your thread - my one experience using that forum was great, got something fixed I could not through the FSC, and many others have reported good success using that forum.

Good luck. If you get a resolution let us know.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Occasional loss of picture (not sound) when switching from SD to HD on SONY Bravia
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
Are you connected with HDMI cables to the Sony?  There have been reports of handshake issues with various TV sets and A/V receivers when changing channels (and resolutions).  As an experiment, if you are using HDMI, try changing to component (the 3 RCA jack [red, blue, and green colored jacks] video output.  This is an analog HD that does not require any handshake.  If the problem goes away then it is a handshake issue and you will probably get into a {word filter} match between Verizon and Sony as to who is at fault.
Message Edited by CharlotteS on 09-03-2008 10:14 AM
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

As Keyboards said, there are known handshaking issues between a Verizon STB and some TVs when using an HDMI connection. so if you are using HDMI then using component connections instead probably will fix the problem.

What do you have the 4:3 Override parameter set to in the STB? If it is anything other than OFF you might want to try changing it to OFF (OFF was not the default when I got FiOS TV three years ago, it might have changed since then). I changed it within the first few weeks after getting FiOS TV so I don't really know if it could have any effect like what you are seeing, but for me, with my Sony LCD, it generated an annoying delay of several seconds when switching between SD and HD channels, in either direction, and I could see the handshake on the STB display every time. So if there is any kind of bug in the handshake between the STB and your TV I think having it set to other than OFF would make it show up for sure pretty frequently. OFF eliminates that constant handshake, and makes the channel changes much faster (with the potential of slightly degraded PQ in SD).

As to who to contact, the Verizon FSC at 1-888-553-1555. But you might have better luck by going to www.dslreports.com, creating an account (free), then posting in their Verizon Direct forum (must be registered to post). They have Verizon technical people who monitor/answer in that forum, and it is private, only you and the Verizon person can see the contents of your thread - my one experience using that forum was great, got something fixed I could not through the FSC, and many others have reported good success using that forum.

Good luck. If you get a resolution let us know.

0 Likes
Geordie

Thanks for the inputs. Yes you are correct connection is via HDMI. Will try component video out of STB later but expect it to work.

Verizon has changed how you input video settings several times, originally via the STB. We just had the new update here and the settings for the 4:3 override is 480i so this is the setting when I have problems. Will try turning it to OFF. With increased number of HD channels I am more likely to switch between HD and SD.

I have contacted Verizon several times via their 1-888-553-1555 number but while they do a good job of helping you set up the system I have not been able to get the design error corrected. It is also not possible to e-mail them and that is how I found this forum. Since their technical people monitor www.dslreports.com I will post the problem there.

Will keep you informed.

0 Likes
Geordie
I have had no problems in several days running HDMI. Have not heard from Verizon but assume someone saw the problem  and fixed it. Thanks. 
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend
Did you change anything at your end? You said you were going to try a couple of things, just wondering.....and you were going to post at Verizon Direct,
Message Edited by Justin on 09-06-2008 06:28 PM
0 Likes
Geordie
On rechecking the change to turn the  SD override to OFF works. Switched it back to 480i again and it failed again. I have now posted message to Verizon Direct  on DSLReports this morning. Will keep informed if anything new. Thanks.
0 Likes