On-Demand Delay
jmcohen231
Contributor - Level 3

Just curious to see if anyone else has experienced significant delays when using On-Demand?

About 50% of the time, when I order something on-demand, there is a good 10 second delay between the time that I press the OK button and when the menu choice appears on the screen.

This became especially nerve-racking when I went to order a pay movie, and it got stuck when I simply wanted to view the trailer.  And of course, I kept pressing the OK and arrow buttons trying to jar something loose.  Fortunately, it did not order the movie, but still, I would have been stuck with a movie that I did not want to watch.

Verizon, what, if anything, can be done?

0 Likes
Re: On-Demand Delay
matcarl
Master - Level 1
You are correct, it happens to me all the time when I select free On Demand stuff.
0 Likes
spacedebrisR
Contributor - Level 1

Depends on where you are seeing the delay. If your talking about when you enter the menu and select the list of shows to choose from.. And you get a delay entering into the list. This delay is known by Verizon and is being worked. It has to do with the database access. Right now when you enter into the selection it has to load the entire database, not just the part you are looking into. It is better than it used to be before it was condensed into a zip style, back when it had to load an unabridged file. But they are still working on getting it more condensed and compartmentalized so that it will only have to load the small part that you are actually looking into. Its getting better but not all the way there yet.

Now if your talking about the delay from the time you select a title and the point where you confirm the purchase, that is also being worked, right now it has to communicate with the purchase system in real time. Sort of like the delay at the store register when you use a credit card and it waits for approval. They are working on it so that the box will know your limits and only have to update a couple times a day, rather than real time.

Or if you mean from the time that you ordered the VOD to the time it actually starts playing, If this is where, there is not much that can be done on this one. This is the buffer time for it to download the movie far enough so you can watch the movie while it download the rest so you don't have it keep starting and stopping while it has to buffer. Its fast but not quite instantaneous yet. This is buffering just like when you go to stream a video on the computer. Same thing.

Hope this helps

jmcohen231
Contributor - Level 3

thanks Spacedebris.

the issue is with the first two you mentioned.

Glad to hear that VZ is aware of it and "working" on it.  Now when they expect to complete this issue is a whole other story.

0 Likes