Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you switch and bring your phone.

OnDemand issue: Wavy lines / frozen screen

Kag56
Contributor
Contributor

OnDemand issue: Wavy lines / frozen screen

Message 1 of 5
(1,750 Views)

Hello!  Everytime we watch something OnDemand (whether paid or not), we are getting super annoying lines / frozen screens (see attached pic).  

I've reset everything at least 5 times this week.  The TV is also new and this never happens when watching normal TV- only OnDemand.  

Any thoughts?  Thank you!IMG_7073.JPG

Wavy line/previous frozen screen in the middleWavy line/previous frozen screen in the middle

4 REPLIES 4
CRobGauth
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: OnDemand issue: Wavy lines / frozen screen

Message 2 of 5
(1,705 Views)

Does it happen on more than 1 TV (if you have more than one)?

What model STB do you have?

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
SueSage
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 5
(1,683 Views)

I am having the same difficulty. Was able to watch 2 Game of Thrones ON DEMAND but then when I went to watch the third one it was all pixelated and couldn't watch it. VERY annoying. I pay a fortune for services and now I can't view the show!!!

JLEinVA
Contributor
Contributor

Message 4 of 5
(1,636 Views)

We have also had recurring viewing problems with on-demand video play, usually late at night. Ours are lines across the whole screen like shredded paper along with distorted sound.

PaulKolodner
Contributor
Contributor

Message 5 of 5
(1,424 Views)

I'm posting the reply below wherever I see this problem because I think I have solved it.

I’m a physicist with long experience in electronics and optics, and I have solved this problem on two set-top boxes in my house.  I removed the coax cable between the wall jack and the set-top box and replaced it with one that was 3” shorter.  End of problem.  What??  Why should something so silly actually do anything?  Well, here’s what I think is going on:  The RF radiation that enters that cable can be weakly reflected from its ends.  If the wavelength of the particular channel has the correct relationship to the cable length, a resonance can be set up, just like blowing into a flute creates distinct tones.  This resonance can cause problems.  Changing the length of the cable by a quarter of a wavelength shifts it out of resonance.  The channels I had problems with use frequencies 727 MHz and 636 MHz.  (You can find this using Menu/Settings/System Information/Info in FiOS). The formula for the wavelength in this kind of coax cable is: wavelength in inches = 7793 / frequency in MHz.  This gave 7793/727 = 10.7 inches and 7793/636 =12.3 inches.  A quarter of those lengths is 3 to 4 inches.  I had a cable lying around that was about the right length – being off by an inch or two wouldn’t matter.  I got lucky the first time.   If this had not worked, I would have tried some other lengths within a wavelength of the original cable length.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title