Ongoing issues with multi-room DVR error messages
jjerusso

I have had Fios and multi-room DVR service for almost four years and have been having an ongoing issue trying to watch recorded shows in a different room from the DVR box.  My shows all work fine when watching from the DVR box, but if I try to watch a show in my bedroom I typically (probably half the time) get an error message.  The shows are all listed but when I select play it takes several seconds and then says something like Error:  please try again later.  Sometimes I am able to start watching a show but then it starts to break up (like when a DVD is smudged) and I have to turn the whole box off to just watch regular tv again.  If I unplug the box and replug it usually works for a while but then I get the same problem fairly soon (and it's not very easy to reach the plug so this is not a long-term solution).  The VOD function works fine.  I called Verizon about it once and they had me unplug the box and then of course it worked, but it's ridiculous to have to go through that every time I want to watch something.  Can anyone help?  Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Ongoing issues with multi-room DVR error messages
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

This sounds like a cable plant issue ... check the coax and splitters which are installed throughout your house and make sure that you have good cables, splitters which are all rated for 5-1000Mhz traffic, and no outlets (or outputs of splitters) which are not connected to a physical device (replace or remove splitters as necessary and disconnect unused outlets).

Next simplify your coax network to minimize the number of splitters between devices -- particularly the path between your MRDVR and the STB where you are watching.

As a test, relocate the MRDVR to your bedroom, install a splitter and attach the box to the same splitter as the STB which is being used for your TV in the bedroom and then try watching a show (i.e. place the MRDVR and the remote STB as close together as possible).   If it works, then this is a firm indication that you have a bad cable or splitter somewhere which is interfering with the ability of the two boxes to talk to one another.   If it still doesn't work -- then I would ask Vz to swap out the boxes as one of them would seemingly have a bad interface.