Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

Ongoing issues with multi-room DVR error messages

jjerusso
Contributor
Contributor

Ongoing issues with multi-room DVR error messages

Message 1 of 2
(2,092 Views)

I have had Fios and multi-room DVR service for almost four years and have been having an ongoing issue trying to watch recorded shows in a different room from the DVR box.  My shows all work fine when watching from the DVR box, but if I try to watch a show in my bedroom I typically (probably half the time) get an error message.  The shows are all listed but when I select play it takes several seconds and then says something like Error:  please try again later.  Sometimes I am able to start watching a show but then it starts to break up (like when a DVD is smudged) and I have to turn the whole box off to just watch regular tv again.  If I unplug the box and replug it usually works for a while but then I get the same problem fairly soon (and it's not very easy to reach the plug so this is not a long-term solution).  The VOD function works fine.  I called Verizon about it once and they had me unplug the box and then of course it worked, but it's ridiculous to have to go through that every time I want to watch something.  Can anyone help?  Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
lasagna
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Re: Ongoing issues with multi-room DVR error messages

Message 2 of 2
(2,057 Views)

This sounds like a cable plant issue ... check the coax and splitters which are installed throughout your house and make sure that you have good cables, splitters which are all rated for 5-1000Mhz traffic, and no outlets (or outputs of splitters) which are not connected to a physical device (replace or remove splitters as necessary and disconnect unused outlets).

Next simplify your coax network to minimize the number of splitters between devices -- particularly the path between your MRDVR and the STB where you are watching.

As a test, relocate the MRDVR to your bedroom, install a splitter and attach the box to the same splitter as the STB which is being used for your TV in the bedroom and then try watching a show (i.e. place the MRDVR and the remote STB as close together as possible).   If it works, then this is a firm indication that you have a bad cable or splitter somewhere which is interfering with the ability of the two boxes to talk to one another.   If it still doesn't work -- then I would ask Vz to swap out the boxes as one of them would seemingly have a bad interface.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title