Onkyo HT-S5300 constantly setting my SD video output on my FiOS set-top box to 480i
Goldfrapp
Enthusiast - Level 2

How can I remedy this?

0 Likes
Re: Onkyo HT-S5300 constantly setting my SD video output on my FiOS set-top box to 480i
Hubrisnxs
Legend

This is a common problem for receivers, and its a simple matter of timing. 

Your receiver is much faster at turning on and attempting to handshake (connect to hdmi) than your TV is at turning on and handskaking.  this delay in timing is what is causing it to default to 480

If you turn them all on at once, then your receiver is trying to handshake too fast and not getting back a satisfactory response from the next piece of equipment, so it defaults to 480. 

So you need to either change how you turn on your equipment, which means you wait until last step to turn on the receiver, or you need to pick up a remote (like a harmony) that you can program a delay between start up devices. These remotes start in the neighborhood of about 40 bucks at local retailers.

The link given has a winning solution for one user, you may find that that same set up will work great for you, you may need to tweak it a bit.  

0 Likes