Opinion on Spliter
jkiv
Contributor - Level 1

I would like to connect FIOS to my PC Tuner Card and get HD input.  The Card has a analog coax, a digital coax and S-video Input connectors which means I would have to connect to the digital coax input.  Currently I have a splitter with 6 outputs near the ONT which feeds 5 STB's and the Router.  If I split the coax going to the STB closest to the PC will it weaken the signal to that STB to the point PQ will suffer or cause any other problems.   

If not what specs should I look for in a spliter.  The distance from where I would split it to the STB would be directly behind the box and the PC about 6 ft from there.

0 Likes
Re: Opinion on Spliter
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@JoeK wrote:

I would like to connect FIOS to my PC Tuner Card and get HD input.  The Card has a analog coax, a digital coax and S-video Input connectors which means I would have to connect to the digital coax input.  Currently I have a splitter with 6 outputs near the ONT which feeds 5 STB's and the Router.  If I split the coax going to the STB closest to the PC will it weaken the signal to that STB to the point PQ will suffer or cause any other problems.   

If not what specs should I look for in a spliter.  The distance from where I would split it to the STB would be directly behind the box and the PC about 6 ft from there.

Don't know if splitting would drop the signal level enough to affect the existing STB - you would have to try it and see (a 2 way splitter will reduce the signal by about 3.5 dB).  Be sure to use a splitter that is rated to 5 MHz to 1 GHz (or higher) in order to properly handle the MOCA signal (IP over coax that gives you guide, VOD, and widgets information).

0 Likes