Re: Outage in Northern VA ?
yuriy1
Enthusiast - Level 1
My grandmother and I are both in Reston. We can call some numbers from the landline, but others get the busy signal, or "circuits are busy." Calling my mobile # from the landline was getting the busy signal until late Sunday. DSL does not connect to the internet at all. Would be really nice to get an update about restoring the service from somebody.....
0 Likes
nicainnva
Enthusiast - Level 2

Part of a solid business continuity plan is to have arrangements in place to ensure delivery of fuel to key sites after an emergency that causes a prolonged interruption to electricity supply.  Particularly important for delivery of phone services, which may be critical for some people in an emergency.  

Verizon's management ought to reconsider that...

0 Likes
NatsGal

I have been on the phone all day with Verizon service reps in Texas.  My elderly parents live in Arlington and have not had phone service since Friday.  They have the medic alert system, however it runs through the phone line and they have no service.  The last rep I spoke to blamed it on Dominion Power saying that the Central Office has no power.  Of course she can't tell me where the Central Office is and that is what Dominion needs to determine if the location does not have power.  So frustrated!!!  Their neighbors that have "regular" phone servie are fine, but they have FIOS as do I in Annandale and I don't have service either!

0 Likes
jss9669
Contributor - Level 1

Day three of no service of any kind in La Plata, MD.  No phone (and thus no 911), no TV, and no internet.  Friends who live 10 miles away in Waldorf have not lost service at all.

0 Likes
wizarddj1

I am in Fairfax/Chantilly area, everything seem to be back to normal, called cust service rep, for help this morning, they were not very helpful, I just wanted to get my tv to work, both time they seem to be in hurry to get me off the phone so they can pick up another caller or going on break, had to troubleshooting myself, played around with topset receiver, finally got it to work this afernoon around 4:00pm.  Goodluck for those still not have phone or video service.

0 Likes
huntress91

I was disappointed to hear on WTOP that Verizon did not release a statement on the outage when other service providers did.  This was around 5:30pm today.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

hi huntress91, 

this statement was released today.  

Verizon Statement 07/01/2012 @ 2 p.m.:

As with most services in the immediate aftermath of the storms – a situation faced by more than a million residences and businesses throughout the Washington metropolitan area – Verizon has been making every effort to assess damages to its facilities and immediately had crews working to get services back online.  However, due to extensive commercial power outages across the entire region, our crews have had to deal with a number of technical and mechanical challenges, in addition to storm damage such as downed poles and trees on our wires. 

A power issue in one of our Arlington facilities has created several issues that we’re currently working through, including difficulty some callers are having when dialing 911 in Fairfax and Prince William counties.  These counties' 911 centers now are receiving most calls, and we continue to work diligently to restore full calling to them, as well as 911 centers in Manassas and Manassas Park. 

We’re working late hours – often around the clock – and bringing in additional technicians from other parts of our service area to assist in bringing service back as quickly as we possibly can.  We appreciate customers’ continued patience as we work to restore services in the wake of one of the worst storms in recent memory.

routerdude
Enthusiast - Level 1

Has anyone in Northern VA gotten their service fully back? In Burke, I'm still waiting to get phone and Internet service back. Seems like it is randon on what is happening on FIOS. Great Service Verizon. NOT!!

0 Likes
routerdude
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can't see that the Arlington CO is the only cause of the outrage, especially 10-24 hours AFTER the storm. Does Verizon only have one site that provides services to Northern VA? what about Ashburn, and other locations where Verizon has CO's???

Don't they link together? What was the comment verizon said about they have a very reliable network??? Doesn';t look like it now...

@KH-OrnEsh wrote:

hi huntress91, 

this statement was released today.  

@verizon Statement 07/01/2012 @ 2 p.m.:

As with most services in the immediate aftermath of the storms – a situation faced by more than a million residences and businesses throughout the Washington metropolitan area – Verizon has been making every effort to assess damages to its facilities and immediately had crews working to get services back online.  However, due to extensive commercial power outages across the entire region, our crews have had to deal with a number of technical and mechanical challenges, in addition to storm damage such as downed poles and trees on our wires. 

A power issue in one of our Arlington facilities has created several issues that we’re currently working through, including difficulty some callers are having when dialing 911 in Fairfax and Prince William counties.  These counties' 911 centers now are receiving most calls, and we continue to work diligently to restore full calling to them, as well as 911 centers in Manassas and Manassas Park. 

We’re working late hours – often around the clock – and bringing in additional technicians from other parts of our service area to assist in bringing service back as quickly as we possibly can.  We appreciate customers’ continued patience as we work to restore services in the wake of one of the worst storms in recent memory.

0 Likes
anhvu00

I have not got TV + Internet + Phone (both home and cell) back since Friday. I wonder why no media coverage on this Verizon problem. Perhaps Verizon has bought them off? I am angry as hell. They charge me $200+ a month for this?

I have to switch to Cable for awhile to keep them honest. Who is with me?

0 Likes