Switch Account

PC Tuner cards and FIOS TV

PC Tuner cards and FIOS TV

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Message 1 of 9
(7,121 Views)
I currently have a DCT700 adapter and would like to get a TV tuner card to watch TV on my PC.  Wil this work with FIOS?  I see on the website they suggest getting a tuner with Cable Card, but I would prefer to keep my adapter and tune it through to the PC.  Is this supported, will it work (I was looking at the Hauppague 1250).  Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Employee Emeritus Employee Emeritus
Employee Emeritus
Message 2 of 9
(7,111 Views)
I don't have a TV tuner card myself, but I do know that by using the DCT700 adapter you will have to change channels with it instead of using the computer, as you would be able to with a cable card.

Brennoko
Verizon Telecom
Fiber Solutions Center

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supercede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

Highlighted
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Message 3 of 9
(7,110 Views)

@Pittnh wrote:
I currently have a DCT700 adapter and would like to get a TV tuner card to watch TV on my PC.  Wil this work with FIOS?  I see on the website they suggest getting a tuner with Cable Card, but I would prefer to keep my adapter and tune it through to the PC.  Is this supported, will it work (I was looking at the Hauppague 1250).  Thanks.
Well you could not get a tuner with a cable card. That is only for OEM PC's like dell, HP, etc. They only work with certified cable card PC's.  I have had issues with my ATI 650HD USB, but it does not have a built in IR Blaster. And I think that's the issue with mine. It will not change channels. But it works if I manually set the cannel on the DTC700. So it should work on yours. But you may have issue with changing channels. Bets thing to do is try it out.

Message Edited by TimSykes on 01-26-2009 04:21 PM
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Message 4 of 9
(7,104 Views)
The Hauppague 1250 has a QAM tunner, you should be able to get then same channels on it by direct tuning as the DCT700, you don't need the DCT700 at all.
Highlighted
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Message 5 of 9
(7,101 Views)
if that is the case you will be able to get HD on it too. not just SD. But you may need the TV Pack update for media center to pick up qam, only on vista, and windows 7 has it built in.
Message Edited by TimSykes on 01-26-2009 04:29 PM
Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 6 of 9
(7,094 Views)

I use two DCT700's with an Adaptec Dual Tuner USB device that has IR extenders.  (Using Windows Media Center Edition 2005.)  The only gotcha I had was that I needed to put on of the DCT700's in a box since the both use the same IR signals and it was conflicting.  Picture quality is NOT as good as a direct analog cable feed, but its acceptable.

So it will work, but you need the hardware (IR extenders) and software (IR extender aware...MCE2005, Sage, BTV should all work).

-ak 

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Message 7 of 9
(7,025 Views)

@ak wrote:

I use two DCT700's with an Adaptec Dual Tuner USB device that has IR extenders.  (Using Windows Media Center Edition 2005.)  The only gotcha I had was that I needed to put on of the DCT700's in a box since the both use the same IR signals and it was conflicting.  Picture quality is NOT as good as a direct analog cable feed, but its acceptable.

So it will work, but you need the hardware (IR extenders) and software (IR extender aware...MCE2005, Sage, BTV should all work).

-ak 

Would I run the coax from the DCT700 into the tuner card, or do I have to run something else like s-video or composit?
Highlighted
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Message 8 of 9
(7,019 Views)

Its all about picture quality when it comes to that.

s-video - the best

composite - better then coax

coax - if that's all you have 

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 9 of 9
(7,008 Views)

What Tim says....but with the 700 the best you can do is composite.  If you dont have the compisite (and RCA audio cable) then the cable out to TV works fine too.

-ak

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.