Pause doesn't work
ssetta
Contributor - Level 1
I seem to be having some trouble with the pause feature. It only works every now and then, it doesn't pause most of the time. I can FF and Rew, but no Pause. Any help would be appreciated.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Pause doesn't work
kevinb
Contributor - Level 2

Ah I see (said the blind man)..

Maybe something a bit more simple..

Are you sure you're hitting the pause button?

I know that play/pause look like it's a single button, but the remote actually has seperate contacts for both. One on top for play, one on bottom for pause.

If you're hitting the button square in the middle or towards the top, it may just be registering it as play - hence the STB recognizing the remote command and showing the progress bar but nothing happening..

View solution in original post

ssetta
Contributor - Level 1
I just tried resetting the box a few times, but it still won't work. It will work occasionally, but mostly it doesn't. Please tell me there is a way to pause live TV with FiOS. If not, they're out of their minds.
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

It works, has for me for the last 2 years.  BTW - I assume you have a DVR as that is the only STB that can pause live TV.  Sounds like a STB gone bad.  You can try calling Verizon and having them do a remote reset and see if that helps, but otherwise I don't have a clue why it is sporadic.

One additional thought, is it possible the pause button on your remote is not always registering?  See if the STB is turning on the light (lower right corner of STB display) when you press the button.

0 Likes
ssetta
Contributor - Level 1
I did call Tech Support and all they did was reset the box. It looks like the button is registering because the green light does flash. I also noticed that the problem also occurs if I play back a recorded program on another STB, so I wonder if it's something else. I also doubt it's a bad DVR box, since I think this one's brand-new.
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well, there is really only two possibilties, a problem with the STB or problem with remote. Although there may be several different problems with the dvr, those are really the two places to look. You can easily check to see if it is a remote problem. Bring another remote in from another room and give it a try. If that one works fine, then have the remote replaced and good to go. If you still have the same problem, then tech support will try probably 3 differnet things, (reset, initialize, and factory reset). if these fail. will likely replace DVR.

I know you said that you have the same problem when using watching a recorded program in another room but that is a seperate issue. There is a known issue with the pause/ff/rw when using the Multi room feature. But if you try two different remotes on the DVR itself. it will tell you if the problem is Remote or DVR.

0 Likes
ssetta
Contributor - Level 1

I talked to Tech Support again, and they agreed that it might be a problem with the remote. However, I tried telling the rep that I did use another remote. She said that they can send out these IR blaster wires which should help with the remote signal, and I thought that maybe it would work. I then let her know that the green light flashes, and also I just noticed, that if you press the Pause button, the info bar will show up, but nothing happens. So that right there proves that it is NOT the remote. Though the fact that there's an issue with the FF/Pause/Rew on the Multi-Room DVR...hmm, that should tell you something. Maybe the HMDVR isn't ready for primetime yet. Though I'd like to ask: What's the difference between 'Reset' and 'Factory Reset?'

P.S. I also tried it with an On Demand program on one of the non-HD STBs, and the exact same problem happened. 

0 Likes
kevinb
Contributor - Level 2

Some times content providers disable pausing of their content. I'm not saying 100% this is the cause of the issue, but it is an additional thing to check.

What shows have you noticed the pause not working on?

Can someone else with a FiOS DVR check the pause on some of these shows?

0 Likes
ssetta
Contributor - Level 1
It isn't just with one show, it's with pretty much any show/channel. This never happened on Comcast, which is partially why I'm so peeved. I already signed the contract with Verizon and have given Comcast back all their equipment, and I would HATE to have to go back to them, but I feel like I cannot stand this glitch. I wonder if I'll have to get someone to come check it out.
0 Likes
kevinb
Contributor - Level 2

Ah I see (said the blind man)..

Maybe something a bit more simple..

Are you sure you're hitting the pause button?

I know that play/pause look like it's a single button, but the remote actually has seperate contacts for both. One on top for play, one on bottom for pause.

If you're hitting the button square in the middle or towards the top, it may just be registering it as play - hence the STB recognizing the remote command and showing the progress bar but nothing happening..

ssetta
Contributor - Level 1
Kevinb, you saved me! That was IT! I couldn't thank you enough! I think this would be useful for ANYONE who gets FiOS, because I totally thought it was just one button with Play/Pause. I know that's how it is on many remotes. So, I don't know exactly why they bothered to make it 2 separate contacts, but, hey, it works!
0 Likes