Phantom audio
Shpaboy
Enthusiast - Level 2
At times the audio portion of shows can be heard from the TV when the TV is off, the STB is off and the DVD player is off.  This seems to happen randomly.  We can turn the TV/STB on then off to stop the audio but it comes back on at some later time.  Any ideas as to what is causing this and how to correct the problem.  Thanks!
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Phantom audio
Justin46
Legend

As others have said, the TV is probably still on. I had that problem with the bedroom TV, pressing power off on the remote sometimes turned the STB only off, leaving the TV on without me realizing it, and then later for some reason the STB put out audio. I fixed the problem by changing the remote to turn the TV and STB on and off separately, and just leave the STB on all the time. That way when I push the power off for the TV I know for sure that the TV is really off. You might try that and see if it helps.

Keller, TX

View solution in original post

G-Pon
Contributor - Level 1

These ideas may help, sure could be the cause... 

The TV may actually not be off when you think it is, then when the STB gets new software or it told to do a self-diagnostic by Verizon in the middle of the night sometime, the TV re-broadcasts some audio portion of that test. If in the room at the time a brief flash or more of video might also be observed.

If the TV power source (electrical plug) is from the accessory power outlet on the back of the Verizon STB (not recommended) this might cause the event. Change the TV’s electrical source to one of it’s own following the recommendations of your TV’s manufacturer, usually to use a surge protecting power strip.

More often, pressing the “Power” button for too long powers the STB (Set Top Box) off, but powers the TV off-on or off-on-off-on, resulting in a condition where the TV seems to be off, but has actually only gone to “sleep” and the STB is off. Making absolutely sure the TV itself is off, maybe by confirming it with the power button ON the TV a time or 2, and learning the nuanced button-press duration best for your particular TV will help if this is the issue.

bull3964
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is the phantom audio, by any chance, of shows you are recording?

I remember hearing about an issue with the Motorola STBs for Comcast where the audio ports would become live when the box "woke up" to record programming.  If you  happened to leave  your stereo or TV on, you would get the audio.  Also, it WOULDN'T output the video portion so if you are somehow leaving your TV on while this was happening, you would have a blank screen, but suddenly be getting audio. 

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

As others have said, the TV is probably still on. I had that problem with the bedroom TV, pressing power off on the remote sometimes turned the STB only off, leaving the TV on without me realizing it, and then later for some reason the STB put out audio. I fixed the problem by changing the remote to turn the TV and STB on and off separately, and just leave the STB on all the time. That way when I push the power off for the TV I know for sure that the TV is really off. You might try that and see if it helps.

Keller, TX

Shpaboy
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks for the suggestions.  I have been in the room when the audio came on and it wasn't accompanied by any flash of video.  The TV is plugged into a surge protector that is plugged directly into the wall outlet.  So I'll concentrate on making sure that the TV is actually off and not in a sleep mode.  That seems feasible as we have had a few times that we were heavy handed at using the remote power switch and had the  TV & STB turn off then right back on.
0 Likes
Shpaboy
Enthusiast - Level 2
We haven't done any recording since we switched to FiOS so presumably not the cause.  Will track that TV on/off issue a couple days and see what happens.  Thanks again!
0 Likes
Shpaboy
Enthusiast - Level 2
I think this is the answer to the phantom audio.  When we were using the universal remote to turn off TV/STB, the STB would turn off but the TV only appeared to turn off but was apparently still on.  We've been using the original remote from the TV to turn it on/off for a couple days and haven't had an episode of phantom audio.  Sometimes we leave the STB on and other times turn it off too.  Either way no voices in the night!  Thanks for all the help!
0 Likes