Re: Picture Quality in HD
Molly110
Enthusiast - Level 2

P.S. The Video Format options from my fios menu have 4 choices - 480, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. There is no option for selecting 1080P and my tv is 1080P.  Would that make a difference?

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

1080P can be chosen from the hidden menu on Motorola if your set supports it.  It will not however be used unless Verizon shows some program in 1080P, which currently they don't or at least I haven't heard them do.  

Cicsco boxes can also be setup to allow 1080p, but I am not sure where the setup is.

You really don't want your STB/DVR trying to upconvert to 1080P, let your tV handle such.

0 Likes
Molly110
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, sounds like my current settings then are fine, even though my TV is 1080p and the fios menu is set for 1080i (set top box does not have 1080p option on the setting menu on the Cisco box). I still thiink the problem with hd video picture quality (since they are poor on laptop and TV) are in the signal, or from the outside box, lines, etc. Since changing the set-top box did not make a difference, all of my  settings are correct, does anyone have ideas for next step or solution?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Click the Contact us link at the bottom of the page, open an online chat, and or call the 800 VERIZON number to talk with tech support. 

0 Likes
Follow-up on FIOS Picture Quality in HD - 11-24-12
thehonesttruth
Enthusiast - Level 2

Posted 11-24-12.

I was a DISH customer for 14 years and finally switched to FIOS TV, after getting a great bundled deal with their Internet and phone service (which I had previously, only adding the TV part to it).

To be blunt, the HD quality is terrible, absolutely terrible. With DISH, the pictures looked sharp, clear and crisp. You could see the sweat glistening on people. With FIOS, it is not as sharp or crystal clear. A very noticeable difference from what I am used to.

Before anyone replies, I tried everything wtih looking at the connections, splitters, blah, blah, blah, customer service (useless) etc.

WIth FIOS 30 day return policy, I will be cancelling and going back to DISH. Really, what's the point if you get loads of extra movie channels, etc. that look dull and flat.

I am very disappointed and was really hoping this would work out.

This is the absolute truth!

Re: Follow-up on FIOS Picture Quality in HD - 11-24-12
Justin46
Legend

@thehonesttruth wrote:

Posted 11-24-12.

I was a DISH customer for 14 years and finally switched to FIOS TV, after getting a great bundled deal with their Internet and phone service (which I had previously, only adding the TV part to it).

To be blunt, the HD quality is terrible, absolutely terrible. With DISH, the pictures looked sharp, clear and crisp. You could see the sweat glistening on people. With FIOS, it is not as sharp or crystal clear. A very noticeable difference from what I am used to.

Before anyone replies, I tried everything wtih looking at the connections, splitters, blah, blah, blah, customer service (useless) etc.

WIth FIOS 30 day return policy, I will be cancelling and going back to DISH. Really, what's the point if you get loads of extra movie channels, etc. that look dull and flat.

Then you absolutely have somethng wrong! And since you have told us you have tried eveything without telling us at all what you actually tried, and have made up your mind that you have tried everything, and apparently aren't interested in getting any help, nobody here can help you. Enjoy going backward in quality to Dish....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@thehonesttruth wrote:

Posted 11-24-12.

Having come from Dish myself, I would have to agree with Justin.  There is something wrong with your setup.  Dish quality is not even close to Verizon Fios quality.

0 Likes
thehonesttruth
Enthusiast - Level 2

Worked with a Senior Tech who talked me through all the steps. Installer spliced into existing Dish cable, going to FIOS receiver with HDMI cable to TV. Set on sharpest (5) settings, 1080i or P, etc. Still soft: If DISH was a 10 on sharpness, then FIOS is a 7.

Help is always appreciated. They are sending another receiver as a last attempt. If that does not work, I will go back to DISH since the 3 point difference is very noticeable to me as a viewer.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Sharpest setting?  Do you mean on the TV?  Most TV sharpness settings do exactly the opposite. They introduce too much "sharpening" and degrade the picture badly.   I have mine set at at a 10 out of 100 on my Sony and Samsungs.

0 Likes
thehonesttruth
Enthusiast - Level 2

The sharpest setting on the JVC  tv has remained unchanged from DISH to FIOS, so this constant should have no impact on what FIOS is transmitting. Again, much sharper and clear with DISH. Receiving a replacement receiver so will swap and see what happens.

0 Likes