Re: Picture Quality
bwarri
My SD picture quality has also degraded signifigantly, I had a service guy come out and change my router and try everything he could think of but he said if it was a general problem there would have been other complaints! Go Figure!
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@bwarri wrote:
My SD picture quality has also degraded signifigantly, I had a service guy come out and change my router and try everything he could think of but he said if it was a general problem there would have been other complaints! Go Figure!

The SD PQ issue is with the 6xxx HD boxes.  Version 1.6.0 build 6.89 modified a sharpness setting internal to the STB that causes the SD picture to be (depending on TV and person viewing) "soft" to unwatchable.  Obviously a subjective call - YMMV.

As has been stated many times by multiple posters, there is a firmware fix being worked on that will give a "slider" with multiple adjustments for SD sharpness.  That being said, it is still in testing with no ETA for release (assume at this point sometime in Q1 2009 - but this is just a guess on my part).

0 Likes
carol

I am a FIOS customer for the past few weeks.  It started out good but now I have a "picture frame" around the screen on many 

channels and this started on last Thurs.  I have been on the phone with the technical support and have requested a service call

without any success.  I have been on hold since 9 am today and it is pasy 11 am.  How do you get help here?

0 Likes
jrcubfan

I was very happy when I signed up for FIOS TV over a year ago.  The picture quality on all of my TVs for every channel was stunning in SD compared to the standard cable provided by Comcast. The past few months has been frustrating to say the least as the stunning picture quality was no longer evident.  I assume it has to do with the 1.6.0 upgrade.  It is almost impossible to make out the numbers or names on the back of players any longer when watching sporting events.  The degree of out of focus appearance varies from station to station.  NBC(channel 3) in the Phila. suburbs is the worst.  Comcast Sports Network(channel 76) is a close second.

I was lured to FIOS TV at a much greater cost with the promise of crystal clear cable tv in SD.  I feel like I got my money's worth for a while but now feel cheated by Verizon.

Come October 2009 when my 2 year commitment is up, I'm checking out the competition.     

0 Likes
izub
Enthusiast - Level 3

not sure what the problems are for others...I have a Pioneer Kuro 150fd, great tv... My HD picture is tremendous better than Comcast. I have had Fios

for 2 months...SD is varies from poor to very clear

0 Likes
Humble
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had FIOS since October 9, 2008 and the picture quality on both HD and SD is stunning.   I had DISH HD before and I thought the picture was very good but FIOS is better.   I use a HDMI cable and the picture, sound quality, and receiver speed are equal or better than anything I ever got from DISH.   In addition, the closed captioning has been perfect.   My only issue is the "Currently Unavailable" message I get which is annoying but easy to work around until Verizon fixes the software issue.  In addition, the information re programming on the IMG is extremely poor and doesn't come close to the quality I experienced with DISH using a VIP622.  I received 2 new Model 7216's when my service was installed and all of my service is using coax.   I use no ethernet and I have the Triple Freedom package with Extreme TV and all the premiums.

Edmonds, WA

HD DVR 7216

Sony Bravia XBR1

0 Likes