Re: Picture cutting in and out
Greyfox

I got a helpful hint from a salesman at Best Buy.  He asked if the STB had been set up for HD.  Since I installed the replacement box I knew that I did not go through any specific steps to set that up, however, I believe that is done when Verizon programs the box during set-up.  But, I went to my TV menu, under Installation, connections.  I found that there was no selection made for the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 inputs.  So I have now set one for HD DVR and the other for DVD.  Have not been watching since then.  Will let you know

0 Likes
Greyfox

OK,  this just might be an  -  ID "ten" T   -  error (write it out using digits for ten)  Following the advice from the salesman at Best Buy, I checked the settings on the TV.  The input settings for the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 were never set.  I set one for the HD-DVR and the other for DVD.  So far the white out has not returned.  I did experience some pixilation (new) so I adjusted the STB setting to 720p.  I don't notice a difference in the picture quality and there have been no interruptions.  I really would like to know if anyone else checks this out and what the results were for them.

BTW - I don't remember anything in the set-up directions for the TV that instructed the user to format the input signals.

0 Likes
nekxin1

I am a new FIOS customer (2 months) with a new Samsung LN32B640 HD TV and keep loosing my signal. I spoke with a Verizon rep last night 8/31/09 and he suggested using component cables vs HDMI. He also suggested I contact Samsung to see if they had developed a firmware upgrade. I don't think anyone is taking responsibility....

Re: Picture cutting in and out[ New ]

Just wanted to apologize to whomever I questioned about the incompatibility with Samsung TV's.  Found this on the Samsung website today:

Are Samsung TVs Compatible With Verizon FIOS?

Since the release of Samsung’s 2008 televisions, we have received reports that the Motorola HD set-top-boxes installed by Verizon FIOS and some 2008 Samsung TV’s are incompatible. Some customers have reported that when the FIOS HD boxes are connected to Samsung TVs using an HDMI cable, the video drops in and out. The problem occurs randomly and can not be directly tied to any one model, HD box, board type, or television firmware version.  The problem is restricted to the HDMI connection. All other connection types work without a problem.

Samsung engineers have visited Verizon multiple times and have tested Verizon’s HD set-top-boxes with many Samsung televisions. In all cases, the problem didn’t occur during the test or, if it did occur, was resolved by replacing the tested set-top-box with an updated model.

After the tests, the technicians at Verizon confirmed that the problem lay with their equipment. To resolve the issue, Verizon will create a new set-top-box and/or write new firmware. In the meantime, Verizon has been advising customers to connect their set-top boxes to Samsung TVs using the Component video connection until a solution is available.

Hope a fix will be available soon.

0 Likes
wessock1

Listen, guys, the problem is a long well known one by customers, Verizon, and Motorola. It affects all makes and models of TVs using HDMI or component cables. The problem and only solution lies with Verizon and Motorola releasing a firmware update that they are working on for the DVRs. There is nothing you as a customer can do or troubleshoot to fix. You'll go crazy trying to figure it out when there is nothing you can do, it's in the programming of the boxes.

0 Likes
Stevefr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I posted this problem over a month ago.  Since then I have spoken to someone from Sony.  He provided me two potential solutions.  One solution was a flash drive mailed by Sony that contained updated HDMI software for my TV.  the second solution was a recommendation that I completely remove power from both my TV and HDDVR box for about one minute.  When power is turned back on the TV and box reset themselves.  I tried and it seems to work for a few weeks.  After a few weeks the problem pops up again and I follow the same procedure.  It is a little annoying but I am reluctant to install new software, fearful that other problem might pop up.

0 Likes
fe342185

I have had FIOS TV installed for a few weeks now. This issue is definitely a FIOS STB issue. Whenever I have the Multimedia DVR set to 1080i the signal drops at least 3 to 10 times an hour. Its very annoying and unwatchable.

I set the STB to 720p and all the cutting in/out went away. I have the STB plugged into a 4 port HDMI switch along with a PS3, Xbox360,  and a DVD player. FIOS is the only one with the issue when transmiting with 1080i.

I have tried attaching the TV directly to the STB and I still have the same issues.

For now I have to keep changing the setting back to 720p since the STB eventually reverts back to 1080i.

My TV is a 4 year old Sony.

My brother also has FIOS with a fairly new Samsung  TV with the same issue. He also has a PS3 and a DVD through a switcher and the problem is identical to mine.

Verizon please own up to your problem and do something to fix the issue. If this was a TV issue then all the other devices I have plugged in should be cutting out. It's obviously an issue with the Motorola STB.

0 Likes
demonstr8r
Enthusiast - Level 3

Perhaps the worst part is that Verizon keeps signing up customer, giving them crappy hardware, and not providing any indication as to when the problem will be fixed.

0 Likes
Greyfox

I found the solution.......DIRECTV....

I switched back, no more problem.

0 Likes