Picture cutting in and out
jacks

I am also experiencing intermittent cutout of video and audio.  I am using the HDMI connection from a Motorola HD DVR to my Bravia TV.  After the cutout, I sometimes experience a problem with the color which takes on a magenta background.  If I switch to a different program source (DVD Player) the color is correct.  Only way I can get rid of the magenta background is to cycle the power on the Bravia.  Cycling the power on the DVR does not correct color problem.  I only see these problems when watching HD programming.

0 Likes
Re: Picture cutting in and out
TheMuffinMan

For testing purposes try swapping your HDMI cable with component and see if you have the same problem. If you do then it's a defective STB.

0 Likes
jacks

I switched from HDMI to Component Video and the situation improved greatly.  No more loss of video and no more magenta screen.  However, I still do have occasional audio dropouts that last less than a second.

Does anyone know why the Sony Bravia TV doesn't work using the HDMI interface.  Is it a Sony problem or a FIOS problem?

Thanks.

jacks

0 Likes
chinorider
Enthusiast - Level 3

I believe it is a FIOS problem because it happens on several TV models - not just SONY.  FIOS will not step up to the plate and admit the problems is with their system, they keep pushing out 'work arounds'.

I also have a SONY Bravia and use several HDMI inputs to the TV and all work fine EXCEPT the FIOS 7160 DVR which continues to exhibit the reported drop-outs.  The HDMI on the SONY Bravia is fine.

All we can do is wait and see if FIOS ever gets their system working, perhgaps a new DVR, or, if it really bohters you, you can step up to a TIVO based system that works fine on HDMI systems.

Good luck

0 Likes
jacks

Thanks for the info!  I think I made a mistake signing up for FIOS.  It seems to me that Verizon never performed the proper engineering design before selling FIOS to the world.  HDMI has been around long enough for Verizon to have fixed the problem.

0 Likes
The_Saint
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi All,

Ok so after months of continual cutting in and out of picture and now the growing problem with the Auido skipping out or no audio at all (like on HD channel 9) I realized  Why am I paying top dollar (nearly $200 monthly when u add in the charge for all the boxes I have,) I've finally got fed up.

I called the billing dept and asked for a drastic discount as the product is not working as promised. I explained the issue (as described above) they wanted to try swapping my HD DVR MultiMedia BOX one more time to see if this would resolve my issue. I agreed and connected to the tech dept. I got once again, to set up appointment for swapping of HD DVR Multi Media room BOX.

Here's where the best news comes into play.. A lady (wont mention her name) from the Verizon ,Yes I said VERIZON, Tech dept. (based out of back east) asked what the issue was... When I explained what the problem was she replied.... "And let me guess, you have all your items hooked up to a Samsung TV."  I said yes.. She replied... "Can you return your TV in exchange for another brand?" I said NO. Although only 2 months old, the days allowed for returns or exchanges has expired.  The words that follow were the "SHOCKER"..... I'm really sorry sir, but the Motorola boxes we use for Fios TV are not compatible with Samsung TV... let me repeat.. THE HD DVR MULTI MEDIA ROOM BOXES MADE BY MOTOROLA have a recognized issue with Samsung TV's and "WILL NOT WORK PERIOD." She said Verizon is very aware of the problem, don't know how to fix it and durring their training have been advised to ask the customers if they can A. return their TV for another brand, because B) their boxes do not function with Samsung..  I pointed out that the boxes are not working with several makes of TV's per the number of complaints listed on the Verizon Forum.. However she replied that the only TV recognized by Verizon as not going to work was Samsung. 

She then connected me to the billing Dept. here in California, explained the issue and that there was no 100% fix at this time for me. Billing dept. will be calling me back on Tuesday or Wed. after the holiday to see how or what kind of resolution we can come to. Unfortunately, as much as I liked everything that was offered by Fios, The picture and audio quality (WHEN IT WORKED) was awesome, but I think I may have to go back to DirecTV until Verizon can get their problems resolved.  I hope this answer's several peoples concerns and at the minimum get's you all calling and asking for an immediate reduction in billing price for something that is not 100% operational. Good luck all.

0 Likes
ceekaycee

We have had Fios for a couple of years on four TVs (all different brands - 3 standard / 1 HD).  We have had a continuing problems with one standard TV with standard STB.  At various times while viewing the sound cuts out as the display on the TV indicates that the input is switching back and forth from AV1.  It doesn't lose the picture - just displays the input and program rating for a few seconds, then the sound comes back on.  Anybody else had this issue?  (It is not a Samsung, but is a Korean brand.)

0 Likes
mtm1974

I would say it is a problem with the service/STB and not with any of the TVs that are connected to the STB's.  Not only do I suffer with the picture/audio dropping (more pronounced when watching HD stations) when watching live broadcasts, but I have the same issue when watching shows that have been DVR'ed. 

If the DVR'ed show is dropping video/audio, then it appears to be a STB/Service issue!!!

0 Likes
jacks

I have also experienced the drop out problem when watching programs that have been DVRed.  The magenta screen problem that I mentioned in my original post also occurs on DVRed programs.

0 Likes
The_Saint
Enthusiast - Level 1

HI All,

Please check out the msg/blog i started on this issue. Reply to it and let me know what you think..

{please keep it relevant}

Thnx for your time... The_Saint

0 Likes